What is the Best Bedding?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hey guys, i have a african Sulcata Tortoise and right now im using Hay for bedding, but it gets old real fast and moldy, so does anyone have any ideas on what other bedding I can use?! I dont know if her/his age matter, but he/she 1 year old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As far as "best" is concerned, you have to decide that for yourself. The substrate that each of us uses is what we consider "best." My personal choice is orchid bark. I buy Black Gold brand, fine grade, and I really, really love it. The baby box turtles are able to dig down into it and bury them selves, its clean and they won't get sick if they eat it. Some of us here on the forum swear by coconut coir, I personally hate it.

So, try hardwood barks and coco coir and even dirt from the yard. Determine which one provides the effect you are looking for, and that one will be the best one for you. Just keep in mind that if your sulcata is a baby, you need one that you can moisten, and that's not hay!

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
emysemys said:
As far as "best" is concerned, you have to decide that for yourself. The substrate that each of us uses is what we consider "best." My personal choice is orchid bark. I buy Black Gold brand, fine grade, and I really, really love it. The baby box turtles are able to dig down into it and bury them selves, its clean and they won't get sick if they eat it. Some of us here on the forum swear by coconut coir, I personally hate it.

So, try hardwood barks and coco coir and even dirt from the yard. Determine which one provides the effect you are looking for, and that one will be the best one for you. Just keep in mind that if your sulcata is a baby, you need one that you can moisten, and that's not hay!

Can I find that at a pet store or is there a website? I look on tortoiseshack.com for orchid bark, but they didnt have the black gold brand.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy cypress mulch or any hardwood mulch. Don't buy pine or redwood, etc. none of the aromatic oils barks.

You can probably buy orchid bark at a plant nursery.

Just remember, if you have to buy any substrate online, you're going to really pay a high shipping cost.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
emysemys said:
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy cypress mulch or any hardwood mulch. Don't buy pine or redwood, etc. none of the aromatic oils barks.

You can probably buy orchid bark at a plant nursery.

Just remember, if you have to buy any substrate online, you're going to really pay a high shipping cost.

Alright thanks!!:)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
If your sully is under 10 inches...I recommend keeping it on an 80:20 ratio of coconut bark:coco coir...and keep it moist. Obviously this means you'll have to keep your coolest temps above 80F. Once it breaks 10 inches...you neither need to moisten it nor continue with the coco coir. At that time, you can go with straight coconut bark.

Status
Not open for further replies.