What is the best material for Redfoot tortoise enclosure?

HorrorHaru-Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Scandinavian
Hi. I need to build a indoor enclosure, but im not sure about what its gona be made out of. Wood might be easy to build, but if not treated right it might root because of the moisture. And the water proofing need to tolerante heat from the lamp, and not be toxic. Metal frame with glass might be longer lasting, but harder to make. And if done incorrectly might leak and lose moisture.
Maybe a hybrid of the 2 is a good idea ? :p
Plywood with epoxy or some other type of sealant and metal frame is what I have been sugested by people that i know. I thought about bath room flooring but I dont know that if would work out. There are probably other materials that I dont know of that might fit better.

Just the best for my tortoises ?
Thanks in advance ^_^

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Pvc would be best for a redfoot. It doesnt rot and holds in heat and humidity very well. Another option would be melamine but its much heavier and just be sure to silicone the joints well.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Pvc would be best for a redfoot. It doesnt rot and holds in heat and humidity very well. Another option would be melamine but its much heavier and just be sure to silicone the joints well.
PVC is the way to go. My husband and I built an enclosed chamber for my Russian tortoise this past winter and it was a game changer.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi. I need to build a indoor enclosure, but im not sure about what its gona be made out of. Wood might be easy to build, but if not treated right it might root because of the moisture. And the water proofing need to tolerante heat from the lamp, and not be toxic. Metal frame with glass might be longer lasting, but harder to make. And if done incorrectly might leak and lose moisture.
Maybe a hybrid of the 2 is a good idea ? :p
Plywood with epoxy or some other type of sealant and metal frame is what I have been sugested by people that i know. I thought about bath room flooring but I dont know that if would work out. There are probably other materials that I dont know of that might fit better.

Just the best for my tortoises ?
Thanks in advance ^_^
I agree with the others, that expanded PVC is the way to go. It’s so nice to not have to worry about using chemicals to protect wood and a relief to not have to worry about rot and mould.

S2G

AL
PVC would be my go to, but I have wood out the wazoo so I use it with Liquid rubber then silicone the joints. It works really well.

HorrorHaru-Redfoot

Scandinavian
I'm really thankful for all the comments. Tortoises and reptiles are still fairly new in my country. Most terrariums for sale here are made of glass and they get really cold in the winter. This pvc sounds really good, So it looks like my terrarium will be of pvc :D

HorrorHaru-Redfoot

Scandinavian
I Google about pvc and its says it can leak toxic fumes, and can be toxic when its heated up. Is there a non toxic kind, or a way to stop it from being toxic ? :eek:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, its just that one of the first things that show up when you google it is Toxic, Poison and Danger. ? ofcourse i get worried ?
Its the exact same material used to make PVC pipes for drinking water. Its just "expanded" with minuscule air bubbles and made into 1/2 inch thick flat sheets. I've been raising hundreds of hatchlings in it for about 5 years now. It is non-toxic, inert and totally impervious to water. You can fill it with water and it will never rot.