What is the best substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NolaGirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
I am a new owner of a baby Sulcata tortoise. I've been having it for about a month and a half. It was 2 weeks old when I got it. I am currently using aspen as substrate. Is there something better that I can be using?

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
I would change aspen to coco coir like Eco earth or Cyprus mulch since they hold humidity pretty good

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I love N.O. Been there many times. Broiled oysters... mmmmmmm...

Anyhow, for your question, there are several good substrates. Its really personal preference. Aspen is too dry. You need something that will give off some humidity, but this also means you will need warmer temps, even at night.

Click on the links in my signature for more info. It is all explained there.

NolaGirl

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. I love N.O. Been there many times. Broiled oysters... mmmmmmm...

Anyhow, for your question, there are several good substrates. Its really personal preference. Aspen is too dry. You need something that will give off some humidity, but this also means you will need warmer temps, even at night.

My father is an oyster fisherman and I can't stand oysters. LOL! I LOVE every other seafood, though. :) I tried the the Eco Earth already. It kept getting into my tort's eyes and irritating them. I guess that I'll try the cypress mulch. Any other suggestions?

NolaGirl

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Tom said:

The warm temp isn't an issue here. It's in the upper 8o's and humid right now. We don't have much of a Fall or Winter. Temps drop to the 40's or so for only a few weeks. Really, we have a constant climate of hot/warm and grossly humid weather here. It's horrible for my hair, but great for my tortoise. LOL!

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
NolaGirl said:
My father is an oyster fisherman and I can't stand oysters. LOL! I LOVE every other seafood, though. :) I tried the the Eco Earth already. It kept getting into my tort's eyes and irritating them. I guess that I'll try the cypress mulch. Any other suggestions?

That happened to me too when I first used Eco Earth. Typically it means there isn't enough moisture in the substrate. I put some sphagnum moss on top to help keep the moisture in a bit more and keep the dust low. I personally like untreated dirt or mulch. I am lucky enough to have plenty around the house, but don't know if you may. I have heard people microwaving any dirt the get from the outdoors to remove any bugs or bacteria, but I never have and haven't had any issues thus far :)

Welcome to the forum :)) let the addiction begin lol

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
As long as you bake the substrate to take out all the bugs orchid bark and cypress mulch are the best options in my opinion. Both smell good and dont take much effort to keep clean and they both hold humidity really well.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tom said:

Read Tom's threads! They will save your tortoise's life! ;) I didn't really want to read ALL of that when I first got my baby Leopard, but I reluctantly did. And I am SO glad that I did. They are very useful and the tips will last you a lifetime! :D

NolaGirl

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Y'all rock! Thanks! I've read most, if not all of Tom's threads. I stumbled upon them when I was researching how to properly care for a Sulcata. I read through this forum for a few months before getting my little Morla. :)

NolaGirl

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Eweezyfosheezy said:
As long as you bake the substrate to take out all the bugs orchid bark and cypress mulch are the best options in my opinion. Both smell good and dont take much effort to keep clean and they both hold humidity really well.
I bought some Zoo Med cypress mulch bedding today. What temp should I set the oven on and how long do I bake it?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome, you have come to the right place for answers. Toms threads are very helpful. I recommend reading. And by the way...sulcatas rock !

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I dont bake my substrate in the oven so I cant help you out there. I just throw all the substrate in a black trash bag and keep it in the sun all day and that takes care of the bugs, I live in Arizona where it gets 100+ degrees regularly so it may not be a suitable solution for you.

NolaGirl

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Eweezyfosheezy said:
I dont bake my substrate in the oven so I cant help you out there. I just throw all the substrate in a black trash bag and keep it in the sun all day and that takes care of the bugs, I live in Arizona where it gets 100+ degrees regularly so it may not be a suitable solution for you.
It's in the upper 80's here in NOLA. Pretty darn hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.