WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SHIP A RUSSIAN HATCHLING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
I have been reading about shipping hatchlings. Some people put them in a plastic container and some in a material bag. I read that if you use a plastic container there should be enough room for the hatching to flip itself back over should the box get turned upside down. However, my hatchlings do not flip themselves over when they land upside down; they just lay on their backs.

Also is UPS the best way to ship a hatchling?

I would appreciate any information as I have some Russian hatchlings for sale. I really do not want to ship them, but I possibly could be open to the idea if I feel that I know what I am doing so they will be well protected and arrive safey. :(

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I ship them in plastic containers (small margarine tub size) with shredded and crumpled paper towels in it. Wet and ring out a full one, fold it and place in the bottom. Then fold a dry one and place on the top. Shred some paper towel and place on the top of that. Place the tortoise in the container, place more shredded paper towel on top and put the lid on (which should have air holes in it). Tape the top at three spots to the container to prevent the top from accidently popping or being forced off.
Packing the box is also very important for safe shipping. I prefer to use a box that is at least a couple of inches bigger than the container in all directions. I place enough sytrofoam packing peanuts in the bottom to center the container. Place the container in the middle of the box and fill the box with styrofoam peanuts to the top. Tape the box top well. The box sides and top should be clearly marked "Live Harmless Reptile, keep from temperature extremes.
I use FedEx through www.shipyourreptile.com. They have been great and it cost less than going directly through FedEx due to their rate agreement.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
From experience, when I received my leopard hatchling via UPS, he was upside down when I open the package, even though the package was clearly marked not to be flipped, etc.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
You will get terrific service and attention, along with a discounted rate, using ShipYourReptiles.com.

SYR rates start at 20% off the FedEx and UPS retail rate, and can improve from there based on volume and need.

We offer the packaging you need for your shipment as well. You don't have to use our packaging, but it does have to meet our SYR Shipping Standards, including 3/4" insulation.

We have a detailed Get Help section that will answer questions and walk you through the steps, but feel free to contact us directly as well.

To quote from a first time user I saw on another forum today- "SYR made the whole process much easier then I expected."

That is great to hear!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have shipped hatchlings using both Shipyourreptiles and reptileexpress with great success.
To do it right, but a reptile shipping box (cheaper at reptileexpress) which has the box, insulation and shipping envelope, plus markings. I put mine in a small, fairly tight plastic container with damp paper towels to keep it from rocking around. The two companies use FEDEX Priority which will have it there the next day by 10:30 am. The FEDEX guys who pick up my packages from the house have always been careful and they have all arrived in good condition.

If you are going to ship then do it right. It will cost a bit more money, but it is worth getting your little guy to the location alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.