What is the easiest to make/cheapest basking dock to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlesrule101

5 Year Member
I want to get a different type of basking area for one of my turtle tanks. Should I have a floating dock or above tank dock? How do you recommend making it? Thanks so much! Brooke

rich1p

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ.
When I had water turtles., I used lava Rock from a local rock and gravel company. It was cheap and looked nice. I really didn't care for the floating docks.

jonathan512

5 Year Member
I'm not a big fan of the floating docks either i prefer logs they're more natural looking but keep in mind you have to leave them in water for a few weeks before putting them in ur tank otherwise it will leave your tank looking like Ice tea lol. I've also liked sand boxes ,I've seen some creative boxes made for the turtle to bask in & lay eggs when they're adults. Eventually ill make one for my group but for now logs.
photo-118_zps1ab45e93.jpg

The only thing I payed for on this basking dock was the jungle vines from petco that hold the drift wood up (relatively cheap) and the drift wood was just found near my house years back ,if you decide to take this route be sure to clean the wood thourghly (don't want parasites) I've used driftwood for years and the turtles use it more than they did the floating basking area.

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
how big is your tank? and how different do you want it to be?
I have 3 tanks. One has a generic floating dock from the pet store, one has a floating log like Jonathan suggested above, and the third tank has a turtle topper from the pet store. I've seen many home made ones using stuff like egg crates to legos.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The thing is about those lay forms with the bracket that floats is if you have small turtles, they could bet shuck between the brackets and drown. Also they are lightweight so when you have a bigger turtle, the platform doesn't hold up the heavy turtles weight.

The only reason that I know that is by reading countless reviews about it just like I just wrote.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
mattgrizzlybear said:
The thing is about those lay forms with the bracket that floats is if you have small turtles, they could bet shuck between the brackets and drown. Also they are lightweight so when you have a bigger turtle, the platform doesn't hold up the heavy turtles weight.

The only reason that I know that is by reading countless reviews about it just like I just wrote.

All you do is leave the bottom suction cups off, then then dont get stuck. I dont like them because some turtles eat them but I still use them sometimes.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
This is a pretty unique idea for an above tank basking area.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhJf0lpx1NM
A couple of things about the setup though: the author is using a compact fluorescent bulb, which has been known to cause eye problems in reptiles. The tank also appears very boring and lacking in terms of environmental enrichment for the turtles.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
basking dock really is about functionality. If you don't use a floating dock, you need to make sure your alternative is fully secure. I've seen cases where people who stacked rocks had the turtle knock the whole pile over on itself and then drown from being trapped.

I use a blend of ZooMed Basking Dock and Custom platforms made out of driftwood. For "cheapest cost", you're best bet is gonna be just to buy a turtle dock cause you know it will work on the first try.

Status
Not open for further replies.