What is the nutritional value of flowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Many tortoises like to eat flowers, like dandelions and hibiscus. I'm wondering about what kind of benefit they provide to tortoises. Are the petals a good source of vitamins or fiber? Are their nectar and pollen rich in energy?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I think this is a good question, I've wondered about this along with the nutritional values in alocasa, colocasia, and philodendron, which I feed to all my manouria's and are on every toxic plant list. Len

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Im still pondering your other thread....come on now...jeeeez :D.

Oooo oooo I know...they satisfy the "ooo im gonna get ya" tortoise craving....:rolleyes:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know the answer, but they make a great drink from hibiscus flowers. :D

I think most people only use small amounts of flowers, so its more of a supplement than a staple. I feed my adult sulcatas gazania, hibiscus, blue hibiscus, dandelion, pumpkin flowers, roses, and a few others, but this is in relatively small amounts and only every once in a while.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I believe if you search the forum this topic has come up before. If I remember right the petals don't have very much, but the green part at the bottom has better nutritional value, too bad my guys leave this part behind.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I wish I new the answer, but you do have some of the best questions I have seen...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Someone posted the nutrition in each part of a hibiscus flower a while ago. I can't remember who, but try to find it it was interesting. I hope flower are nutritious. The are easy to find. I believe I read they should make up no more than 20% of a tortie diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.