What is the physiology behind pyramiding?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
RE: What Causes Pyramiding

Pyramiding is cause by growth in conditions that are too dry. We all agreed on that one. How much influence all the other factors like diet, UV, growth rate, exercise, stress, calcium, dietary fiber, etc., is very debatable.

Now Tom...you know I have nothing but love for ya man.... I know that you believe/recognize/support that the reason pyramiding happens is because of dry conditions....I agree that hydration is imperative as well.

I have to add that, to dismiss other balanced factors (the "debatable" things you reference as diet uv, growth rate, exercise, stress, calcium, dietary fiber, etc. in my opinion, does a disservice to the overall health of a tortoise...there is no way to know, to prove, to absolutely verify that these things are not imperative just as hydration is....you know that I have to point this out, right?

This is in the debatable section, yes? ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

ascott said:
Pyramiding is cause by growth in conditions that are too dry. We all agreed on that one. How much influence all the other factors like diet, UV, growth rate, exercise, stress, calcium, dietary fiber, etc., is very debatable.

Now Tom...you know I have nothing but love for ya man.... I know that you believe/recognize/support that the reason pyramiding happens is because of dry conditions....I agree that hydration is imperative as well.

I have to add that, to dismiss other balanced factors (the "debatable" things you reference as diet uv, growth rate, exercise, stress, calcium, dietary fiber, etc. in my opinion, does a disservice to the overall health of a tortoise...there is no way to know, to prove, to absolutely verify that these things are not imperative just as hydration is....you know that I have to point this out, right?

This is in the debatable section, yes? ;)

Yes ma'am. I knew you would have to, and I love you for it. The feeling is mutual. :)

The OP did not ask what factors are involved in raising a HEALTHY tortoise. All of those factors are vitally important in raising a healthy tortoise. On that you and I agree. But I can show you NON-pyramided tortoises that never see UV or get outside at all, or eat a horrible diet, or that grew way too fast, or that live in a small tank, or that get no calcium supplementation, etc... How overall "healthy" any of these examples may be is questionable, but they are smooth.

Raising a SMOOTH tortoise, and raising a HEALTHY tortoise are not necessarily the same thing. You can do one without the other both ways. My older adults are very health but not smooth. My current lot of sulcatas are healthy AND smooth. I know a guy with two really big smooth sulcatas that have eaten cat kibble nearly every day of their lives.

gustaf

5 Year Member
Re: What Causes Pyramiding

There is your answer. Care for your tort like Tom and Ascott and you will not fail.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

My older adults are very health but not smooth. My current lot of sulcatas are healthy AND smooth. I know a guy with two really big smooth sulcatas that have eaten cat kibble nearly every day of their lives.

I love love love this word "variables" :D You rock Tom and you know I appreciate your contributions...absolutely ...