What is the point in soaking a tortoise?

Kitkat1989

I don't really understand why I should soak my tortoise? I know because he is 2 there isn't any need to do it very often but other than encouraging them to poop is there any benefits to doing it and can you soak to often?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Torts need to be soaked for proper hydration. The popping thing is just a bonus that helps you keep their area cleaner.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California

EchoTheTort

UK
Hydration. Hydration of the keratin helps smooth growth.
That's your simple explanation. It also encourages them to drink, stops skin getting too dry, watery eyes etc.
It's for hydration. I heared somewhere that they can soak water up through their bottom...not sure whether that is correct though...

Kitkat1989

I never see Walt drink. Even when I soak him. Although he does dunk his head? Is this what he is doing?

EchoTheTort

UK
I never see Walt drink. Even when I soak him. Although he does dunk his head? Is this what he is doing?
Yep! Some tortoises tend to stick their whole head when they drink. Not too sure why though...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hydration. It helps to prevent pyramiding, helps shedding, digestion... pooping.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I could never understand this myself. I never soaked my cherry heads. When they wanted to sit in the water they did, and when they wanted to drink they did that too. They both grew to be smooth and beautiful and healthy. I always thought they would know when to soak and drink themselves. Not saying I'm right, of course, just my opinion, and I don't know anything about any other kind of tortoise except the Cherries. I've never soaked a box turtle either, except for feeding the new hatchlings in a tub with some water. Oh...if they are sick then I would soak them in warm water of course......just me.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I will soak the adult CDTs here just before going into brumation and a few times coming out. The redfoot torts here soak themselves....now, when the two youngest ones first moved in here I soaked them each day---but stopped that once I watched them routinely soak themselves and drink alot on their own...once they developed their own hydrating routine I stopped mine.....:p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, warm/tepid temp tap water is fine.
Should be deep enough that the water comes over the part of the tortoise where the top/bottom shell meet, allowing the tort to dunk the entire head into the water but not so deep that the tort can not comfortably have his head above the water...

tryme

5 Year Member
London
Ok thats great thank you.

Do you need to add anything to the water?

I saw on tv once when they roused a tort after hibernation they added something to the Water?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Can you soak your tort too often? I think yes, because too frequent and too long soaking may cause your tortoise to poo out beneficial bacteria, etc. I feel like when the poo coming out of your tort looks undigested and loose that the soak should be ended. Just my opinion based on observation and reading.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
See, this is one of those topics that will get you many replies....so, if you have a tort that is under the weather yes, you can offer a long warm water soak with baby food added (a selection high in vitamin A and E), is there any scientific proof that this is going to cure an ailing tortoise--no scientific stuff but alot of torts that are around still who absolutely benefited from the ritual.

Soaking, to me, if you are going to soak a tortoise then offering one for any length of time of less than 30 minutes is useless....the longer the better if you are going to do periodic soaks.....if you have a tortoise that is dealing with impaction then 2 hour long warm water soaks daily are fabulous....so, essentially soaking is not a bad thing.....in some cases it is a necessary thing....in some cases it is not necessary do to the individual tortoise doing it all on their own....

So, if you want to soak your tort and you see that the individual tort appears energized and roaring to go after a soak, then go ahead and offer the soakings....:)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Ok, I'll ask the question. Why is the thought that "a soak of less than 30 minutes" not beneficial?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Why ask why? I'd rather be safe than sorry . Soaking helps keep your tortoise hydrated . If your tortoise gets constipated it helps get things moving . In the wild tortoises will soak in mud holes to hydrate and cool down. In captivity we have to offer soaks or mud holes for our tortoises.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Why is the thought that "a soak of less than 30 minutes" not beneficial?

My opinion is based on a few factors Will....

Short stints in the water only wet the tort...longer soaks actually offer time for;

the water to be soaked in by the body
the shell to have time to soften a bit by water absorption...especially if a tort is in a growth phase
some torts take a moment to begin to feel comfortable enough to drink after some time to settle

I could go on but these are the highlights to why I have the opinion I do ..