What is the right tortoise for me?

ArizonaVol

Here are the specifics of my situation:

• Live in Phoenix
  • I have constructed a block wall outdoor living space that is 20 inches high 14 feet long and 10 feet wide. Half of the area is shaded almost the entire day under a large tree, the other half will get good sunlight the better part of the day. Half the ground cover is grass the other half is dirt.
  • I haven't built/bought the shelter yet because i'm not sure what size the turtle will be.
  • This will be the toroise's life long living space. While I have a big yard, I also have an unfenced pool so roaming the yard unsupervised won't be an option.
  • While they are really cute, I am not interested in starting with a hatchling. I think an young adult/mature adult might be best for me.
Could I get some suggestions based on the info above what would be a good fit? Also any suggestions for a reputable breeder in Phoenix?

thanks in advance.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sulcatas and red foots are good beginner tortoises. Also keep in mind how big of a tortoise you want. Sulcatas get huge.

— Gus

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Sulcatas aren't really a good 'beginner tortoise', if there is such a thing. And Arizona will be too dry for Reds. Go with something from the testudo genus, hermanni or graeca, or maybe a Russian.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Leopards Might be a good fit for you if you are going for an adult. I think a redfoot would need more humidity but I am not sure.

ArizonaVol

What can you tell me about Leopards? Are all tortoises relatively similar when it comes to shyness or comfort around people?

ArizonaVol

Gus, is there an advantage to raising a young tortoise vs. starting with juvenile or adult?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
For first time owners it would probably be best to get an older tortoise as they aren't as delicate.

— Gus

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Before you make a decision read the care sheets on the tortoises your interested in. That may influence your decision.

— Gus

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
There are advantageous to raising your own if you are committed to the harder care and prepared for it. I found that once I had my set up (diet, temps, enclosure, humidity, lighting) all dialed in that it became a breeze. Plus I get the advantage knowing my tort was raised correctly and is in good health. I also have become familiar to her (or him..) & she is not shy around me. There is a great section on Leopards here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/leopard-tortoises.87/

and members like @wellington can probably tell you more about them since they have a lot of experience with the species.

phebe121

I have leopards and there not shy at allthey r sweet and when.i talk.to them they come.up to the side of the eenclosure and they love there heads rubbed and chins to.real easy to take care of im still learing tho .grass ,dandelion,clover,spider plant,wondering jew,kale,carrots,there alot of things to feed them. My enclosure temps are 98 basking and 85 cooler end.mine are over a yr old i do love leopards

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I LOVE it that you're looking for advice on species PRIOR to getting one!!!! GOOD JOB!

The space you're providing for a life-long habitat is not big enough for one of the larger species, and that includes a leopard. I suggest a Greek, Hermanni or Russian.

ArizonaVol

I have been looking at care sheets but most seem to cater to very young torts. Are there things specific to an adult that I do or don't need to do on the care sheets.
As for an outdoor shelter, to keep warm during the occasional colder winter days in AZ. Would I be ok to use a dog igloo with a heating lamp? Much is referenced about humidity. In AZ, 90% of the time we have little to no humitity, will I be ok to just keep the substrate in the covered shelter damp each day?

ArizonaVol

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I LOVE it that you're looking for advice on species PRIOR to getting one!!!! GOOD JOB!

The space you're providing for a life-long habitat is not big enough for one of the larger species, and that includes a leopard. I suggest a Greek, Hermanni or Russian.
Yvonne, I always try to do my due diligence ahead of time so it helps saves me headaches in the long run. Is there a general guideline about space required for tortoises?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been looking at care sheets but most seem to cater to very young torts. Are there things specific to an adult that I do or don't need to do on the care sheets.
As for an outdoor shelter, to keep warm during the occasional colder winter days in AZ. Would I be ok to use a dog igloo with a heating lamp? Much is referenced about humidity. In AZ, 90% of the time we have little to no humitity, will I be ok to just keep the substrate in the covered shelter damp each day?

I think a russian tortoise is prefect for the area you describe. I'd like to see the enclosure a little bigger, but 10x14' is certainly adequate. This care sheet describes care for adults and babies, indoors and out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

And you will need a substantial shelter for your new tortoise to escape the summer heat there in AZ. I highly recommend this, or something similar:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

This might help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, looks awesome. What about rain? Wouldn't it flood?

I build them on the high end of the enclosure with the door and entrance tunnel facing down hill. Then the tunnel is covered so no rain can get down there. Its easy to test and see which way the water runs in your enclosure. Just turn on the hose.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
A Russian or Mediterranean type of tortoise would be my first suggestion.

Oh, and just to put the thought in your head...an Indian Star tortoise might be a good fit for you as well! :). A bit more pricey than most of the aforementioned types so it would not be my first suggestion.