What is the story of your username?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I'm the person that everyone comes to when a bird falls out of a nest or there is an injured squirrel or rabbit or something. I also have some rural property and am pretty knowledgable about the wildlife there...not to mention the miniature donkeys I own and the honeybee hive I manage. In short....my friends friends refer to me as "the earth mother".
Bees?? That's awesome, it would be cool to have a hive. I'll bet you get visited by racoons ;)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Lisa marie born in 79 :) I use it for everything so I don't forget ;)
:D Hehehe, I'm very forgetful, so that actually could come in handy... (I've never forgotten my name though!)
Don;t you hate when someone ask your name,birthday, etc. and you (or maybe just me!) and think about for a sec before answering? :mad: People's faces! :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Well...I jacked mine all up!!! I wanted big red, but there was already one of those :) I wish I didn't add all the #'s but mines the last name and my wedding date 9-21-13. Yup just survived 1 yr of marriage but we've been together over 13 years
Survived?? :eek:
Congrats! I hope in 15 years you're still thinking, 'He's still alive!' :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yours is perfect. Suits your personality. I don't think they'd survive -40°F.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES
Thank you! :D:oops:
Ouch. For a vacation you could come here, last winter around here the temps hit -20 at the coldest... HAHA Our indoor/outdoor cat was like WHAT?? :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Mines my first initial and star tortoises are my favorite. Next on the wish list are radiated.

— Gus
Radiated tortoises are so cool! They must be hard to find, they are one the most endangered species (of tort)?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I'm the person that everyone comes to when a bird falls out of a nest or there is an injured squirrel or rabbit or something. I also have some rural property and am pretty knowledgable about the wildlife there...not to mention the miniature donkeys I own and the honeybee hive I manage. In short....my friends friends refer to me as "the earth mother".

Do how do I get some fresh honey?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Prairie Mom

PRAIRIE: I didn't put too much thought into my name when I created it. I wanted to give a description of the climate where I'm living, but not too exact, because I like to post photos of my kids and don't want anyone outside the forum with a search engine to stalk them. I also identified with @Earth Mama 's post quite a bit...anything from human to wildlife that needs love and help tends to find their way to me or vice versa. I have a house FULL of animals and consider myself "Mom" to all of them and they seem to agree. Like Earth mama, I have also rescued and released animals back into the wild, or found homes for many strays. I still have one wild tree squirrel that unfortunately is un-releaseable, but we love him dearly and he has an indoor/outdoor enclosures that is bigger than my first apartment.
chz email crop (2).jpg

MOM: Then, of course, I am a Mom to some amazing little humans. I had no idea how hard motherhood could be, but there are no words in any language that can describe the reward and joy motherhood brings. "Mom" is my identity through and through. And thus was born..."Prairie Mom"
email snow group.jpg

Last edited:

yillt

Well, my tortoise was originally called Tilly ( his name is Billy now) so I spelt Tilly backwards which was Yillt. Well, so I thought. It was actually yllit but Yillt is easier to say so Yillt it was.;);)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
PRAIRIE: I didn't put too much thought into my name when I created it. I wanted to give a description of the climate where I'm living, but not too exact, because I like to post photos of my kids and don't want anyone outside the forum with a search engine to stalk them. I also identified with @Earth Mama 's post quite a bit...anything from human to wildlife that needs love and help tends to find their way to me or vice versa. I have a house FULL of animals and consider myself "Mom" to all of them and they seem to agree. Like Earth mama, I have also rescued and released animals back into the wild, or found homes for many strays. I still have one wild tree squirrel that unfortunately is un-releaseable, but we love him dearly and he has an indoor/outdoor enclosures that is bigger than my first apartment.
View attachment 98068

MOM: Then, of course, I am a Mom to some amazing little humans. I had no idea how hard motherhood could be, but there are no words in any language that can describe the reward and joy motherhood brings. "Mom" is my identity through and through. And thus was born..."Prairie Mom"
View attachment 98069
That's a pretty good reason, I think! :D I love how you guys have all these animals! I only have cats... and those turtles/torts, of course! :p

TCZaro

New England
Hmm, my username... Well it all started when I was sitting in History class, listening to a lecture about Russian history, doodling to pass the time when my teacher started talking about Russian rulers. I learned that a Tzar or Czar was like a Russian king. Thus the "Tczar", I just added the "o" for effect.

majxmom

I'm new to the group. I've posted a few times but haven't introduced myself as a newbie. My user name has nothing to do with tortoises. I have a horse whose call name is Magic. His mother died from a ruptured uterus when he was born, so I have always been his mom since he never knew her. My car license plate is MAJXMOM: Magic's Mom. I use it on several forums.

My CDT tortoise is Barstow. He got that very clever name 51 years ago when my dad brought him home for me from.... you guessed it, Barstow, CA. We estimate he was 10-20 years old when we got him, because a co-worker of Dad's owned him for several years before that. He is actually a she, but I only just recently learned how to sex them, and after 50 years of calling Barstow a him, I can't adjust. My dad kept him at his house when I went to college and he just stayed there because the yard and landscaping worked out so well for him. He loves to eat flowers. My dad just passed away earlier this year so I have brought him to my place. He's been in Hayward, CA, for 50 years where the temperature is between 50 and 70 degrees F most of the time. I live in the CA Delta where it is significantly colder and hotter. He has a habitat about 30x40 feet bounded by double-high masonry bricks. We built him a great burrow -- he'd been hibernating in a dog house for the last 30 years. He loves his new burrow. We built it with the masonry blocks in a U shape as I saw on a link on this forum, dug into the ground and then the dirt piled over plywood on the bricks. He comes when he hears me, eats, climbs on top to bask, goes back in and out all day. He seems so content to finally have a burrow after so many years. When we were digging the dirt out, he got in the hole with us and helped dig a little along with our shovels. It was so cute, I wish I had taken a video. I'm a little nervous about his first winter here where we often have several nights in the upper 20s but I will insulate him well at the entrance and I think it will be ok in his burrow with over a foot of dirt covering him.

I was glad to find this forum as well as the websites for CA, AZ and UT about desert tortoises. I've expanded his menu with all the good lists of food.

A question: I read a lot on this forum about soaking. Is that recommended for the CDT as well? His shell seems a little drier than how I remember it when I was a kid, when he would soak himself on the lawn while we were watering it. Other than that he seems healthy and supple, so I wouldn't want to introduce any problems with good intentions.

Here are some pictures.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412142310.971032.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412142332.616130.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412142372.719752.jpg