What is the truth about the white stuff?

Evy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I'm not sure what is the correct name for the white stuff that sulcatas get rid off( only species I know).
I read some about if sulcatas don't drink enough water or temps are too high ( meaning not regulated as it should) dehydration is shown as the white stuff BUT I also read that it's normal because they need to get rid off of the white stuff every so often.

I'm honestly confused. What is the deal with it?
Here are some pics of London doing this. He normally pee and/or other times his pee is liquid slightly white and than the white stuff.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409964943.603369.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409964969.138118.jpg

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
The white stuff is urates and they should be creamy, not sand like texture such as yours are. This is a sign of dehydration. Soak your sully more often and provide a fresh water dish that is big enough for him to fit in so he can soak him self too. Once he is properly hydrated you will see creamy urates or none at all.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Water water food plus water! Do you have a small pool of water for him? They will self soak if you do .

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
London gets two baths daily since I got him last year. He does have water inside the hide which I see him drink in and he has a paint roller tray outside for water and to soak as well. In addition he has a water fountain in his outside enclosure to get sprinkle during the day.

Our enclosure was like this before.

This is the new set up inside the indoor enclosure. He still have water to drink. And sometimes late night snacks.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409983583.884011.jpg

He is getting so big 1 and 1/2 years old 6.5lbs and 10inches long ( just the shell). He gets a soaking spot.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409983618.349868.jpg
One area is the hide and the other the soaking spot.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409983706.259023.jpg
The soaking spot leads to the ramp that takes London outside.

He gets the freedom to go in and out as he pleases. During the day he hangs out outside but comes inside to rest and then go out again.

We put the hide inside because even though we live in the city in our area are a lot of black widow spiders; I don't want nothing to happen to London. Also, I attend to university and I don't like to be worry if I can't come back home late to put London inside.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
The white stuff is urates and they should be creamy, not sand like texture such as yours are. This is a sign of dehydration. Soak your sully more often and provide a fresh water dish that is big enough for him to fit in so he can soak him self too. Once he is properly hydrated you will see creamy urates or none at all.

What do you mean sand Lismar79?
This Urates are creamy not hard. He usually does it in the water

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Here is the pic of last set up 6x2x2 but the ramp and area was too small for London.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409985367.078058.jpg
The white are is the paint roller tray

In the first pics you can see that I removed the second floor and basically made one side the hide ( using his previous hide as place to put the home-made fogger.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
What do you mean sand Lismar79?
This Urates are creamy not hard. He usually does it in the water

Sand like or gritty. Urates should not have any solid form...its the only visual I can think of but bird poo comes to mind.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Evy. This is totally normal. Nothing to worry about. For a tortoise his size, there is no need to soak more than two or three times a week. No harm if you soak every day, but its not needed.

M

Maggie Cummings

Evy, I apologize. I got 2 different posts confused in my head and in the other post they just soaked their hatchling once a week. I confused him with you, sorry.

HOWEVER, with that said London is old enough that 2 or 3 soaks a week is alright. Soaking twice a day causing the food to go thru the intestines too fast and the animal doesn't get the nutrition out of it that they should. Once during the day, 2 or 3 times a week...

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Evy, I apologize. I got 2 different posts confused in my head and in the other post they just soaked their hatchling once a week. I confused him with you, sorry.

HOWEVER, with that said London is old enough that 2 or 3 soaks a week is alright. Soaking twice a day causing the food to go thru the intestines too fast and the animal doesn't get the nutrition out of it that they should. Once during the day, 2 or 3 times a week...

What do you mean in the last paragraph? London should poop everyday?
He has a fountain outside and a place to go to drink water /soak as he pleases and he loves to use both places often. Also, he goes own his own to the water dish to be inside right after his soaks.

I guess I'm a bit confused with you last comment.

Thanks