What is this creeping weed?

Jeloz

Location (City and/or State)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi everyone, my redfoot was out for a walk in the garden and ate a whole bunch of this weed.
photo_2020-11-05_18-17-30.jpg
photo_2020-11-05_18-17-31.jpg
It has small purple flowers, and a slightly fuzzy stem.

Google Lens identification seems to indicate that it is Creeping Tick Trefoil (Grona Triflora), but I'm not 100% certain.

Does anyone have any ideas if what this is & if it is safe to be eaten? For what it's worth my redfoot seemed to enjoy eating them alot

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Looks like clover

nagh, clover doesnt grow in/on long thin vines like the one pictured. The leaflet cluster & color sure does resemble clover. That too was my first thought - but the vining aspect.

From wiki -
Description
Grona triflora, known as creeping tick trefoil or three-flower beggarweed, is a plant in the family Fabaceae. It is a global species native to tropical regions and introduced to subtropical regions including the southern United States.

OP is in Malaysia, so tropical region fits, as does the flower color. Small & purple.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Well. pretty sure it’s one of the trefoils. Safe as part of a varied diet.

Tortoise Table will tell you that Birds Foot trefoil isn’t safe but that advice isn’t closely followed in the U.S. One of our most respected seed companies include trefoil in their seed mixes and plenty of owners feed it. Plus the one in your picture isn’t necessarily birds foot; others in this thread have identified it as a different trefoil.

It’s a legume, so higher in plant protein than some but plant protein is fine in moderation.

Jeloz

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Well. pretty sure it’s one of the trefoils. Safe as part of a varied diet.

Tortoise Table will tell you that Birds Foot trefoil isn’t safe but that advice isn’t closely followed in the U.S. One of our most respected seed companies include trefoil in their seed mixes and plenty of owners feed it. Plus the one in your picture isn’t necessarily birds foot; others in this thread have identified it as a different trefoil.

It’s a legume, so higher in plant protein than some but plant protein is fine in moderation.

That's really helpful info, thanks!
My redfoot seemed to really love eating it and it grows very quickly so it'd definitely be a nice addition to his diet.

Obbie

Minnesota
Yes, I have palm trees at home, I miss Arizona !! Going back in December, and when I bring them inside they are growing this in the pots. I feed a bit of it to Mali ?? a couple times a week ?