What is this Galopagos tortoise disease they are studying?!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
I just got a crossposted notice on one of my other tort groups that "they" are looking for volunteer golap owners to participate. What is this? I hope the wild torts aren't in danger of dying out?!
Is anyone here participating?
Although I could never hope to own one, I love them dearly as I am sure most do here on TFO.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As far as I know, we only have one active member with a Galop. It's a young one though, very young. I hope it's not something serious either, what a huge shame that would be.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Interesting, I'm planning to buy an Aldabra hatchling in the next year or so, or instead maybe a Galop. Either way, a childhood dream fulfilled.

I'm interested in hearing more. Any news or links I can read?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Here's what I've got Sandy,

WCT Online - Turtle and Tortoise Care Group
1 New Message Digest #4737
1 ATTEN: Galapagos Owners - Important Disease Study!! by "The Turtlenutz...." gallopsx2
1 ATTEN: Galapagos Owners - Important Disease Study!!
Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:55 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "The Turtlenutz...." gallopsx2 Hello Everyone....Sorry for the many cross postings you will see of this
message.
We want to reach as many people as possible that may have, had or knows of
someone that keeps Galapagos Tortoises.
There is a terrible disease effecting the Galapagos Tortoise - not just in
captivity but on the Galapagos Islands as well.
This is the Very First Study of it's kind and hope ALL of you will be
willing to participate in this very important study to try and figure out
why this is happening, what can hopefully be done to help, correct or cure
this terrible disease!!
PLEASE...take part if you have a Galapagos tortoise that is effected!!.
I would appreciate it very much if you would also please post/forward this
on other turtle/tortoise forums, clubs, zoos, vets, reptile groups, facebook,
any turtle/tortoise organizations etc..
We can't spread this message enough!!
The more people that participate....the better the chance to get funding
for this once it is known just how many animals are effected!!
Please....won't you help these gentle giants from another devastating life
threatening issue??
Thank you very much...
Best Regards,
Sharon Paquette

Below are form links. If they do not work? Please email [email protected]
with "Gallop Study Info" in Subject Line or reply to me and I will be more
then happy to forward your info on.
Thank you!

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (1) . Top ^
Visit Your Group >
View All Topics >
Create New Topic >
We are making changes based on your feedback, Thank you ! Submit Feedback >
The Yahoo! Groups Product Blog Check it out! >
GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE
Please note that a direct reply to this message is
automatically sent to the entire WCT listserve.
WCT Website - http://www.chelonia.org
CHANGE SETTINGS > TERMS OF USE > UNSUBSCRIBE >

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
AnnV said:
I just got a crossposted notice on one of my other tort groups that "they" are looking for volunteer golap owners to participate. What is this? I hope the wild torts aren't in danger of dying out?!
Although I could never hope to own one, I love them dearly as I am sure most do here on TFO.

Yes, it is serious and currently ONLY known to be happening with Galapagos tortoises - not the Aldabras. Anyone who has one at all is of help to this study - Galapagos. Getting the word out to participate in this free to owner study is super important.
Thank you :tort:

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
AnnV said:

I just got told there is an alert on CTTC for this with all the information for contact.
www.tortoise.org
I hope people will take this serious and participate.
:tort:

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
EricIvins said:
This is not anything new. This very issue has been discussed on this forum before. It comes down to husbandry issues that affect these Tortoises over a period of time.

The most recent thread - http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-64421.html
That is very interesting (sad too), but how is it husbandry if it is happening to the ones on the Galapagos Islands too? The notice says it is not just the captive tortoises here. Not trying to be a smarty pants as I truly don't know and I don't have any of these majestic creatures. Sure would love to, but Aldabras were the top price tag we could handle.

I am just very happy that someone has stepped up to pay for the research. If this is an on going long term issues like you note, then something needs to get out to people who have them or may get them to stop doing. Even the ones that are in the Galapagos - people must be interfering there too then. Maybe a search of this site will generate more information for them. Glad you spoke up :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Remember this thread? About Gus the Galapagos living in Arizona but was born at the San Diego Zoo in 1985 or 6. Look at that neck on that sweet boy. That is what the study is about.

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-69512.html

"The Galapagos Study is to collect data on Galapagos tortoises afflicted with goiter type swelling(s) and edema.

Tortoises in private collections, zoos, other institutions along with the ones on the Galapagos Islands are being afflicted with this terrible syndrome.

Since this is occurring around the world with different climates, husbandry, and practices resulting it the same problems - this study questionnaire has been set up to hopefully help determine the root cause.

The major goal of this much needed study is to determine the cause and resolution for this unexplained swelling and edema of current tortoises and also protecting future conditions from happening."

EricIvins

5 Year Member
tortoiselady said:
EricIvins said:
This is not anything new. This very issue has been discussed on this forum before. It comes down to husbandry issues that affect these Tortoises over a period of time.

The most recent thread - http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-64421.html
That is very interesting (sad too), but how is it husbandry if it is happening to the ones on the Galapagos Islands too? The notice says it is not just the captive tortoises here. Not trying to be a smarty pants as I truly don't know and I don't have any of these majestic creatures. Sure would love to, but Aldabras were the top price tag we could handle.

I am just very happy that someone has stepped up to pay for the research. If this is an on going long term issues like you note, then something needs to get out to people who have them or may get them to stop doing. Even the ones that are in the Galapagos - people must be interfering there too then. Maybe a search of this site will generate more information for them. Glad you spoke up :)

Eco Tourism can have some drastic negative effects if it is not monitored or done the right way. If these Tortoises are not traveling the way they need to be, whether it be through intentional/un-intentional feeding, blocking natural trails or what not, these animals will experience the same maladies we see in captivity. It is sickening the amount of Galops in captive hands that have foot and or goiter problems, but it all comes back to the husbandry that is provided. Aldabras experience the same problems, but not to the degree that Galops do...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Remember this thread? About Gus the Galapagos living in Arizona but was born at the San Diego Zoo in 1985 or 6. Look at that neck on that sweet boy. That is what the study is about.

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-69512.html

"The Galapagos Study is to collect data on Galapagos tortoises afflicted with goiter type swelling(s) and edema.

Tortoises in private collections, zoos, other institutions along with the ones on the Galapagos Islands are being afflicted with this terrible syndrome.

Since this is occurring around the world with different climates, husbandry, and practices resulting it the same problems - this study questionnaire has been set up to hopefully help determine the root cause.

The major goal of this much needed study is to determine the cause and resolution for this unexplained swelling and edema of current tortoises and also protecting future conditions from happening."

Goiters mainly are an issue in captive specimens. I posted a thread on this a while back. Some more experienced people I know that worked at zoos just added minerals or iodine to food or grass to mitigate this issue.
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-75214.html

In regards to Erics comment. Its pretty spot on. Many issues have changed the dynamic of the islands. Each island and species is completely different. The Galapagos islands are on a gigantic magma port. The western islands are lush and receive rainy tropical like weather. Then the further east you go from Isabella island the less they have greenery. Introduced goats, and rats have demolished those ecosystems, as well the human presence. That place is a very delicate ecosystem that changed very rapidly. Anyways blah blah blah on my part.

These giants are nothing like a sulcata or leopard in care respects. They require a vast difference in care and husbandry for sure. Along with the aldabra tortoises as well. They can get fat very easy, develop incorrectly in improper environments, and lack of space can expedite many issues of muscle and bone development.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
N2TORTS said:
some research from 2002 ... like what Eric and Kelly said ... nothing really new.
http://www.galapagospark.org/noph.php?page=institucion_laboratorio

Good stuff JD. A lot of that and the article posted in the OP original post "Needing Galapagos keepers to help" was really another ploy to find more genetic abingdonii as well. Unfortunately the way the private and public sector tend to have blows at each other. The public sector seemed to be the major contributor. None were found anyways unfortunately. I would like to believe their is some still out there, as well some ploughshares from some older individuals that got them in the 50's or 60's along with many species(or sub species) of Galapagos. I remember not but a year or so ago a forum member posting a picture of his friends galap. Was clear as day a hoodensis, which is very very limited in numbers of wild individuals. I think 500 wild are left of that species now. But over 1200 captives have been produced at darwin research station and a few hundred reintroduced, so a chance for them unlike abingdonii.

FYI abingdonii was the pinta island(Lonesome George)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
And Kelly, these issues are thyroid, kidney related. I posted in the yahoo group my immediate knee jerk reaction / thoughts upon reading the announcement, that it is a drug side effect. But wait knee, drugs.medicines would not be something found on the islands, in a natural state. I do hope the cause is found with this study. My tortoise pets are Swarovski crystals ... Galapagos tortoises, them are Hope diamonds.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Typically when goiters appear. It is an imflammed or abcessed thyroid, parathyroid, and leads to hyper or hypo thyroidism. Which directly affects the adrenal system. This can really pose a problem for kidneys and liver as well. Basically its diet related. I know the Gladys porter zoo keeps a major weight management on their Galapagos for this reason. Even if you allow them to eat a natural good diet they can still get fat, and begin to have thyroid(goiters develop). The giant tortoises are seed propagators, so naturally they will walk many many thousands of feet a day. Which is gut wrenching for me to see these in very small displays in zoos. Even a quarter acre for 6-10 specimens is still way to small. I refer to the giant tortoises as shelled cows. If a cow was kept in a zero lot line backyard with a heard of multiple animals they will certainly start to develop issues. All sorts of issues. Another thing these giants are understudied on. Even for keepers. Is how they need to be kept happy. Galops are not like aldabras, and can be very aggressive towards one another, for territory or breeding rights. So basically my opinion on these guys is to really really understand them and visit the islands before getting into one. Internet research wont dictate most of that information to potential keepers. Anyways another tangent of mine. :D

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thank you Kelly. I like your blah, blah, blah. And I learn a lot from it! I did not know they were aggressive/territorial, for one. Very dinosaur tendencies, the walk and walk and walk that is needed. Poor Gus in the blog above, the owners love him dearly but there he is mixed in with the sulcatas and leopards getting a birthday party. People just do.not.know. By the way, they bought him from the San Diego Zoo. I did not know a zoo can sell animals to private homes. See? Do not know. : 0