what is this it was cought by my neighbor

nate304

IMG_2168.JPG it is very friendly im assuming its male " short vent to body" but I have no clue what it is. it very acceptable to handleing and feeding by hand.

Attachments

• IMG_2167.JPG
    IMG_2167.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2169.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2170.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 73

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Merabolic bone disease. From poor living conditions. Paticulary no or not enough calcium and natural sun or even a good uv light. I bet he's dehydrated, you could help him a lot by puting him a container big enough for him with warm water up to his fleshy part. Low enoug so he can stick his neck out. He will need to warm up too depending on where you are and if he is a sulcata. Poor guy :(

nate304

he gets around like a race car in grass but he hates the bathroom lenoium slippery as hell for him . tomarrow im gonna build him a pin outside in the sun with a small hide out. I just got him home and he has done nothing but eat and drink. I mean eat anything green .

im in Bakersfield ca but are protected tortus is round smooth shelled . this one is oblong sorty bumpy shelled

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Maybe a desert tortoise? Yvonne would know for sure. Hopefully she sees this.

— Gus

nate304

maybe ill take him to calm" California living museum" down side of that is thay may keep him cus he is wild or not know to be captive

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G please ID. I thought DT had smoother legs, but looking at it again, I think your right, probably a DT. Yvonne will also help you with what to do with it. I believe it's against the law to take them from the wild. Hopefully she will be on soon.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's a desert tortoise. He's just dirty and skinny. If you live in Bakersfield he could be wild and the Feds have rules to follow. If he's friendly he may belong to someone in your neighborhood. So you should try to find the owner while you give him a long warm soak and some weeds...
It is against the law to remove them from the wild or touch them. If you live in the country you may should put him back. If you live in a neighborhood he may belong to a neighbor. He looks kind rough so he may be wild. Or your neighbor just doesn't take good care of him.

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its a gopher tortoise for sure . Look up care sheets in the desert tortoise section .

nate304

I live in a city but we are in a huge drought and things are moving in looking for food and water. it is very possible he is a desert tortus. we have gekoes we never had all over. bears in the city .... when I say city I mean large city. things are coming down looking for food and water

nate304

my neighbor had several desert tortuses all registered that all escaped over many years. she says that's what it is and probably an offspring of one of her,s about 10 years old and in bad health. I would still like a more educated opinion she is mildly retarded so anny tortus is her babbies. I do believe its in poor health. he whistles quitly when he breaths . he is very social wich is good. he eather knows he needs help or is a fighter both good sighns

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, you guys! That looks nothing like a sulcata. And he does NOT have MBD. It's a perfectly fine-looking desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii). He does look a tiny bit skinny - looking at his upper arms in front, but there's nothing wrong with this tortoise!

Any time someone 'finds' or 'catches' a tortoise first thing you need to do is put up fliers on utility poles in the neighborhood where the tortoise was found. Chances are pretty good it is an escaped pet.

Desert tortoises are protected by law and belong to the State. Anyone who keeps a desert tortoise is expected to apply for a permit. The state agency used to be called California Department of Fish and Game, but they've changed their name and I THINK its now called California Department of Fish and Wildlife (but don't quote me on that).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nate: You have a very knowledgeable tortoise person there in Bakersfield - Don...darn it! His last name escapes me at the moment, but you can reach him through the Kern Chapter of the California Turtle & Tortoise club and his web site is Donsdeserttortoises.com.

nate304

Yvonne thank you,
ive been watching this post just to see what you had to say. many here said to ask you. I will try to contact him asap

M

Maggie Cummings

He does look a tiny bit skinny - looking at his upper arms in front, but there's nothing wrong with this tortoise!

Any time someone 'finds' or 'catches' a tortoise first thing you need to do is put up fliers on utility poles in the neighborhood where the tortoise was found. Chances are pretty good it is an escaped pet.

Desert tortoises are protected by law and belong to the State. Anyone who keeps a desert tortoise is expected to apply for a permit. The state agency used to be called California Department of Fish and Game, but they've changed their name and I THINK its now called California Department of Fish and Wildlife (but don't quote me on that).[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I said, I just used different words...:)