What is this?

Doodlebug

Location (City and/or State)
Dublin
Hey All,

Can anyone tell me what this is please? If I need to pop her straight to the vet I'll make an appointment ASAP but if I can treat her at home that'd be great. TIA

Attachments

• 20240612_174523.jpg
    20240612_174523.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240612_174556.jpg
    20240612_174556.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
It looks like an old injury. After an injury it might take months before a scute falls of the shell. It seems like this has happened, and there is no need for an vet appointment. I will tag @Yvonne G just in case.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hey All,

Can anyone tell me what this is please? If I need to pop her straight to the vet I'll make an appointment ASAP but if I can treat her at home that'd be great. TIA
Hello!
This could be an old damage - dog bite, fall, hit or burn from some heating element. However, if correctly interpret the photos, damaged areas are all over the shell...

Do you know of any incidents leading to this? Maybe you have earlier photos of the tortoise to compare shell state? If it's rescued/adopted maybe you know it has been kept before? Can you make a plastron (bottom shell) photo too?

I'm concerned about different damage degree (somewhere only top keratin layers affected not touching the bone and on some scutes there are old and new bone exposures).

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
From your picture it is hard to tell where the damage is. The first picture of minor damage I believe is about the same height as the larger damaged areas on the other side? The costals just above the marginals? It looks to me like damage from repeated bumping and scraping against something hard and abrasive that would be about 2-3" off the ground. Wore through the keratin and has exposed the bone. Looks like mostly older damage but some appears to be a newer injury in the second photo at the very bottom right. So appears it is still happening. Check the enclosure for something it is repeatedly bumping against.

Doodlebug

Dublin
It looks like an old injury. After an injury it might take months before a scute falls of the shell. It seems like this has happened, and there is no need for an vet appointment. I will tag @Yvonne G just in case.
Initially it was a small bit of damage I thought to have been made by a crow, before i got her, as it was more hole shaped but it seems to be spread along that same row of lower plates with discolouration and then the platelet crumbling. Lights are too high for her and in her new enclosure, had her a year now from an elderly neighbour

Doodlebug

Dublin
Thanks so much. I have her about a year but old owner reckon she got attacked by a crow causing a small bit of damage but it doesn't seem to be healing? Hopefully can get some over the counter treatment. If it's a vet appointment I'll make one straight away

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G has done many rescues over many years and have seen a lot. She can help you whether it's healed and what if anything you can do.
They heal very slowly, years, so don't expect it to cover over fast.

Doodlebug

Dublin
From your picture it is hard to tell where the damage is. The first picture of minor damage I believe is about the same height as the larger damaged areas on the other side? The costals just above the marginals? It looks to me like damage from repeated bumping and scraping against something hard and abrasive that would be about 2-3" off the ground. Wore through the keratin and has exposed the bone. Looks like mostly older damage but some appears to be a newer injury in the second photo at the very bottom right. So appears it is still happening. Check the enclosure for something it is repeatedly bumping against.

Has this happened while you had her? Could be a burn from wrong lights being too close.

Doodlebug

Dublin
It seems to have spread. The original owner said they think a crow attacked her