WHAT IS THIS???!!!!!!???!?!?

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sebastopol
No the butter knife wont scratch it, and I won't be able to reply to anything else until 4:00pm. This is so fun! Goodnight, and talk to you tomorrow!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
sulcata101 said:
No the butter knife wont scratch it, and I won't be able to reply to anything else until 4:00pm. This is so fun! Goodnight, and talk to you tomorrow!
Scrap Soapstone off the list!!
Ok good nite...study hard ...we shall continue!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I must say that I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread.

May[TURTLE]
1.1.0 Hermannis: Darwin & Wallace
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think it very well could be an artifact. Find a indian artifact dealer somewhere in the area for ID. I would be very careful damaging or marking it until ID is made.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Be very careful who you tell about where you found it, it is illegal to take anything from state parks.

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
CourtneyG said:
Be very careful who you tell about where you found it, it is illegal to take anything from state parks.

Very good point, I will keep that in mind...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
I think it very well could be an artifact. Find a indian artifact dealer somewhere in the area for ID. I would be very careful damaging or marking it until ID is made.

Any archeology team /lab …would do these exact same tests in the field if they had no high end equipment, such as a Mass Spectrometer or SEM . You find an inconspicuous spot on the item to perform these tests ( like the bottom) . It wont ruin the item . Plus the knowledge of what we are learning here out weighs the material item ( in this particular case) and what you may think it’s value is.
If more of us got out of the house ....not work as much , no bills and less time in here ... you can go for walks and find 1,000's of these items....ya just need to know where to look-;)

"it is illegal to take anything from state parks."
Ironic isn’t it ? …..I mean since our tax money pays for them!…Take all you want now they are shut down ! The Feds took the week off ... they feel they dont make enough money....…HA HA HA ( I’m just being a smart A**)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: WHAT IS THIS???!!!!!!???!?!?

N2TORTS said:
yagyujubei said:

Any archeology team /lab …would do these exact same tests in the field if they had no high end equipment, such as a Mass Spectrometer or SEM . You find an inconspicuous spot on the item to perform these tests ( like the bottom) . It wont ruin the item . Plus the knowledge of what we are learning here out weighs the material item ( in this particular case) and what you may think it’s value is.
If more of us got out of the house ....not work as much , no bills and less time in here ... you can go for walks and find 1,000's of these items....ya just need to know where to look-;)

Ironic isn’t it ? …..I mean since our tax money pays for them!…Take all you want now they are shut down ! The Feds took the week off ... they feel they dont make enough money....…HA HA HA ( I’m just being a smart A**)

I think thats not being a smart a.. it's the truth. :D

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
N2TORTS said:
yagyujubei said:

Nope you are speaking the truth, if anyone one of us did just as bad of a job as them we would be fired, to bad we cannot fire them.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
v^v^tap ...v^v^tap ....either doing homework or not home from school yet...I found you a cool link of many stones from around the world and the people who use them in their cultures. Chime in when you have the time ..:)

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
N2TORTS said:
v^v^tap ...v^v^tap ....either doing homework or not home from school yet...I found you a cool link of many stones from around the world and the people who use them in their cultures. Chime in when you have the time ..:)

Cool, I am going to be busy tonight... But I'll try to be back either at 9:00pm or tomorrow at 4:00
Right now it fine too.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
So, JD, you're a geologist?
Super interesting discussion so far!
I am a little tiny bit of a rock hound in that I have a mineral egg collection. I havent in quite some years, but I used to frequent mineral and gem shows.
But I never knew the real difference between granite and marble. Excellent explanations!

Ann from CT

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
AnnV said:
So, JD, you're a geologist?
Super interesting discussion so far!
I am a little tiny bit of a rock hound in that I have a mineral egg collection. I havent in quite some years, but I used to frequent mineral and gem shows.
But I never knew the real difference between granite and marble. Excellent explanations!

Ann from CT

Actually my father is ( among many other things)that was his Major at San Diego State …..and sure I took it in college too.
I’ve been blessed to have one of those “genius scientist” dad’s ,who raised me as an only child…single father , so there were many times I accompanied him on his research expeditions. So it was natural to dabble in ….funny as a young boy while my friends were collecting baseball cards and could tell you Stats of the San Diego Padres , I was collecting rocks and could identify every rock in the back yard ….. Ha ha ha….:p

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Funny things we learn about each other here on the forum. I like to make metaphors with stones. The one I use the most is the Geo ?? Rock, you know, the rock that so dull and ugly on the outside, but is a beautiful gem inside. As a metaphor for people, it is a rarity indeed.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
sulcata101 said:
N2TORTS said:

Cool, I am going to be busy tonight... But I'll try to be back either at 9:00pm or tomorrow at 4:00
Right now it fine too.

I think we're dealing with a charmstone of some sort .. I've been diggin' and have some neat links for you when you return home from school. Heck you could make a nice presentation and final paper with all of this fun ...;)

sibi said:
Funny things we learn about each other here on the forum. I like to make metaphors with stones. The one I use the most is the Geo ?? Rock, you know, the rock that so dull and ugly on the outside, but is a beautiful gem inside. As a metaphor for people, it is a rarity indeed.

sibi .... your right! :D
and I know just the place to rockhound real desert geodes……;)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Where?

Hey, JD, got a question for you. Africa have tons of precious stones i.e. Diamonds. As you know it took millions of years of pressure to form diamonds in the earth. Why do you think the US doesn't have these stones in their grounds despite their endless supplies of coal?
N2TORTS said:
sulcata101 said:
N2TORTS said:

Right now it fine too.

I think we're dealing with a charmstone of some sort .. I've been diggin' and have some neat links for you when you return home from school. Heck you could make a nice presentation and final paper with all of this fun ...;)

sibi said:

sibi .... your right! :D
and I know just the place to rockhound real desert geodes……;)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Your right about not much if any diamond mining in the US at current. Most of this is due to environmental agencies ,politics and the cost effectiveness. The United States has no commercial diamond mines. The only significant diamond deposit in North America is Crater of Diamonds State Park near Murfreesboro, Arkansas. It is on government-owned land and has never been systematically developed. For a small fee, tourists can dig there and try to find diamonds. Diamonds crystallize directly from rock melts rich in magnesium and saturated with carbon dioxide gas that has been subjected to high pressures and temperatures exceeding 2,559°F (1400°C). These rock melts originally came from deep in the Earth's mantle at depths of 93 miles (150 kilometers).
Diamonds are minerals composed entirely of the element carbon, with an isometric crystalline structure. Diamonds have the highest thermal conductivity of any known substance. This property enables diamonds to be used in cutting tools, because they do not become hot.

For whatever reason, very few miners are looking for diamonds in the U.S. That is a real shame, because the U.S.A. sits on an extremely old massive Craton. Cratons are the earth's diamond making factories, 150-250 miles down. Millions of years ago, some very deep eruptions took place, bringing kimberlite lava flows to the surface of what is now the United States. These powerful eruptions brought tremendous amounts of kimberlite lava to the surface through "pipes" or carrot-shaped lava tubes.
Ok, nice history lesson, where are the diamonds?
Diamonds have been found in Canada quite recently. Why no news on U.S. mined diamonds?
After these diamond eruptions took place, a lot of time went by (100 to 125 million years). Mountains rose and fell, rivers formed, died, and reformed again. However, the real kicker was the dozen plus ice ages that repeatedly gripped the Northern hemisphere. When you have a semi-permanent, mile high wall of ice slowly pushing huge quantities of earth and gravel in front of it for centuries on end, you have to figure that the land is going to look very different after the ice finally melts.
Diamonds have been found in Canada because of these very glaciers that scrubbed the northern tundras clean, miles of what is primarily bare rock. There are placer diamonds there as well, but the real treasure is the kimberlite pipes that have sat there for millions of years. Untouched. Until now.
Do you know where they found the diamond bearing pipes? Under some small lakes. The glaciers scraped the land deep during their millennia of movement into the sea. Left behind were hollow recesses that filled with water and created many small lakes. A few of these lakes are the top of extinct volcanoes, and some of these volcanoes are diamond bearing kimberlite pipes. Obviously, not every lake is the top of an extinct volcano, but by and large that is where you will find most, but not all, kimberlite craters.
Going back to the ice ages and glaciers, there was something called the Laurentide Ice Sheet. An absolutely massive continent of ice that was miles high, and covered from the northern Arctic to ¼ way into the United States from the North.
There have been a number of ice ages and glaciers covering our land, but the Laurentian ice sheets dramatically changed our continent forever. The point is that these ice sheets pushed massive quantities of rocks, earth, and sand over part of the southern bottom of the U.S. This earthy overburden covers a portion of the bottom 2/3 of the United States.
Some diamond bearing kimberlite pipes are under that glacial debris. To make our job easier, we can use rivers to expose some of the diamonds present in the U.S.A. However, rivers will only touch or cut through a very minor portion of diamond bearing kimberlite pipes. Depending where you start looking for diamonds, you could pan or sluice glacial tailing piles that are now part of the landscape. This is where river searching will pay off. I've looked back on the old gold prospectors' original findings, and I keep coming across small quartz-like stones they found in the black sand area of their sluice boxes. In the 1800's, no one knew what an uncut diamond looked like, so the miners simply threw them back in the stream or river, not knowing what they were. Most of these incidental findings were probably glacial diamonds pushed down from Canada and washed down some of the larger rivers and streams in the U.S. These stones are tough to catch in a sluice box or pan. They were only captured by accident by the original gold prospectors, probably with a poorly set up sluice with too little water flow.
Yes, you can extract these precious stones with a diamond sluice box. I'm almost finished the one I've been working on for some years now, but it all goes back to searching appropriate areas, taking samples at different depths, and finding nature's sweet spot for accumulation of diamonds.
The next great gold rush will be "the diamond rush," coming to the United States of America very soon.

For more info on diamonds checkout
http://www.diamond-mining.com/diamondminingintheusa.html

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Wow, JD, that was so interesting! I just love reading about the earth's hidden treasures. I always knew there was more here in the U.S. I believe that because the U.S. is relatively a young country, nothing much had been done to mine diamonds. It's so exiting to know there are gems here and we're just sitting on it.
You said you're working on a raw diamond for years?