What is "treated with poison. (Thiram)

Potato_king

Location (City and/or State)
Oman
Hello,
I just bought some new seeds for my tortoises garden
I noticed that one package
Has treated with poison label at the back? What is treated with poison, is it safe?
Here are some pictures
IMG_20210524_122033.jpg

IMG_20210524_122043.jpg

Potato_king

Oman
I don't know what it's been treated for, but it says don't use for food.

Maybe that means don't feed the seeds to anything? Or press the seeds for oil?

This is really weird...?‍♀️
Yes it's very weird, why are They selling it if it's not edible and poisonous ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Seeds are “soaked” aka “treated” with all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons. Seeds are sprayed with anti-dessicants to preserve their shelf life. Some are sprayed with fertilizers & nutrients & growth hormones to give them a boost during germination. Some are sprayed with “poisons” to keep all the small critters from eating the seeds in their packets. Etc.

These seeds from the OP are packed up & distributed in Oman. Different countries have different regulations.

Pennington “grass seed” also contains the following -
  • All in one formulation including grass seed, fertilizer and soil enhancer

Im sure once planted, watered & grown these Rocket/lettuce/greens will be fine to feed.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hello,
I just bought some new seeds for my tortoises garden
I noticed that one package
Has treated with poison label at the back? What is treated with poison, is it safe?
Here are some pictures
View attachment 325746

View attachment 325747
Looking at the dates on the back of the seeds, they’re almost a few years old and expired in January. If you’re going to try and grow this, maybe try and get a more fresh packet of seeds to give yourself the best chance at it working. I would suggest emailing the company to see if they can provide more details on the “treated with poison, do not feed” statement. I’m sure it’s just referring to the seeds itself, but it still is alarming to see.

Potato_king

Oman
Looking at the dates on the back of the seeds, they’re almost a few years old and expired in January. If you’re going to try and grow this, maybe try and get a more fresh packet of seeds to give yourself the best chance at it working. I would suggest emailing the company to see if they can provide more details on the “treated with poison, do not feed” statement. I’m sure it’s just referring to the seeds itself, but it still is alarming to see.
I was very happy that i finally found some edible plants for my tortoises and i didn't check the dates! I just noticed that?
Just in case, i won't feed the rockets to my tortoises, i bought other stuff that doesn't have any creepy labales on. Thank you for the feedback!

Potato_king

Oman
Seeds are “soaked” aka “treated” with all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons. Seeds are sprayed with anti-dessicants to preserve their shelf life. Some are sprayed with fertilizers & nutrients & growth hormones to give them a boost during germination. Some are sprayed with “poisons” to keep all the small critters from eating the seeds in their packets. Etc.

These seeds from the OP are packed up & distributed in Oman. Different countries have different regulations.

Pennington “grass seed” also contains the following -
  • All in one formulation including grass seed, fertilizer and soil enhancer

Im sure once planted, watered & grown these Rocket/lettuce/greens will be fine to feed.
This was quite informative, thank you!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yeah, most seeds are treated, at least in the US and by proxy, probably Europe too?

But this includes seeds used for pastures. So good to follow directions on the seed pack. There are also organic seeds suppliers.