What is your day job?--Help with my quarterlife crisis

cecely

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi!

I am a recent-ish college graduate who is currently at that "what do I do now?.." stage in which I am no longer a student, have moved back home (the horror!), and am unemployed. Feeling lost and a little redundant at this time, ha-ha.

So, I'm curious about what other TFO members have chosen or want to do for their careers. Do you program computers? Run a household? (I was raised by a single mother. Running a household is absolutely a job...which is why she delegated and most of my childhood memories are with babysitters. Smart lady.) Did you go to grad school or maybe you are still in school? If so, what are you studying?

Or maybe you are living the dream: working with tortoises full-time! Well, actually I'm doing that in a way since I hang out with my tortoise all day browsing job listings except I am getting a negative salary.

Please share and help a fellow member figure out her quarterlife crisis!

-CC

Meganolvt

Michigan
Licensed Veterinary Technician! Best job ever (and most grossly underpaid).

TardisTortoise

10 Year Member!
What is your degree in? I manage a Veterinary Hospital. It is hard work, but I really enjoy it. Figure out what is important to you in life, and work towards that no matter what. I wanted to help animals and the people who care about them.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I was a vet assistant for 7 years right out of high school, during that time I built up my photography business and now it pays the bills. I'll never be rich, but I sure am happy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Licensed Veterinary Technician! Best job ever (and most grossly underpaid).

My wife was a vet tech for 13 years before she got her Masters. She loved it and wishes she could go back to doing it and still make the money she makes now.

Meganolvt

Michigan
Tom post: 1274314 said:
My wife was a vet tech for 13 years before she got her Masters. She loved it and wishes she could go back to doing it and still make the money she makes now.
Yep, money Is the only problem. My husband is an RN, he does a lot but not half of what I have to do, and he makes more than double what I do. It's very frustrating.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm in my last quarter of a 4 year university. My major is business with a concentration in finance. However I currently work full time at nights as an emt in a hospital and during the days (when I don't go to school) I intern with a government agency.

My main goal is to make money from home. Which would allow me to spend as much time with all my animals.

Having said all that, the best job I've had until now was working in a pet store. Loved playing with all the animals. If only the pay was better.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I'm currently in my last 8 weeks of my credential program. Once I finish, I'll have my credential in mild/moderate and moderate/severe special education. Since I'm doing my student teaching, it's a full time thing, and I pay my tuition to be in a classroom full time, yay! But, I'm done in 8 weeks and I'll hopefully be a substitute teacher until the fall term.

It looks like you're located in California, as I am. Theirs tons of positions available in California in education, and many school are desperate. The website is edjoin.org. Good luck!

cecely

5 Year Member
California
Wow, I didn't know there were so many members in the animal/human medical field!

I will never forget the time I brought my super skittish cat in one day because he had a tiny thing protruding from his butt. The vet took him to the back and we were waiting an unusually long time. I was about to walk out and ask what was happening when the vet suddenly burst through the door, hair all askew, and yelled "YOUR CAT HAS AN ABSCESS THIS BIG", making a golf ball sized shape with her hand, "WE DRAINED IT. THANK YOU FOR WAITING", and immediately left.

As I was walking out, I caught a glimpse of the back area with all the techs and it literally looked like a war zone. Some were still running around, there was one lady just standing there shell-shocked, and the rest were cleaning up, looking worn out but cool like "just drained a giant golf ball sized anal abscess, no big deal."

I shouted the sincerest thank you I could manage while holding a rattling and yowling pet carrier. Another cat lady in the waiting room shushed me.

Just wanted to thank you all for your tireless efforts to keep our pets healthy, happy, and pooping without pain. :)

cecely

5 Year Member
California
What is your degree in? I manage a Veterinary Hospital. It is hard work, but I really enjoy it. Figure out what is important to you in life, and work towards that no matter what. I wanted to help animals and the people who care about them.

Thank you so much for your advice.

I have a Bachelor's degree in psychology, minor in gerontology. I was on a research track headed straight for life in academia. But, I'm starting to have doubts.

Hm, interesting how I phrased that sentence. If you omit the word research and replace academia with prison, the tone stays the same (sorry, told you I was a psych major).

Anyways, it sounds like you have put in a lot of hard work to get to where you are. That is my goal--to find a job that I love doing but challenges me as well. I think you can't have one without the other.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
Well my day job was re pairing broken train cars but temporarily laid off due to slow business time so I am getting a part time cashier job at a liquor store to pay my bills and pets needs

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was an art major.
So I went on to be a mechanic.o_O (Art doesn't pay.)
I was also into political science. It also has NO place in my real life.
I thought I'd play football and go on to the pros. My body disagreed.
I would say that your situation is more normal than you might be aware of.
You'll find your way.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Paramedic

Best job I ever had, you have to be a certain person though, doesn't pay all that great, long hours cold hot wind rain but yeah amazing

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I work at cats-only veterinary clinic. I do their social media, I write informative articles for their website, send out newsletters, and handle a lot of the communication about results, post-surgical issues, etc... I'm hoping to be branching out and helping a doctor I work with start her own business soon, which should prove to be an adventure.

I have an English degree, if degrees matter at all.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I put myself through 4 years as a single mom. I worked nights as a waitress at Dennys. After getting my BA in sociology, I got a job with the state. I don't love it, but it allows me to do the things I do love.

Prairie Mom

One of my favorite jobs ever was as an assistant to a Film/Audio Visual Archivist in a university archive. It was relaxing and seriously fun! It doesn't hurt to check out classifieds at Universities.

surfergirl

I graduated with a ba with finance/accounting focus. I am a location manager for a building materials distributor. I was going into the medical field took two years of latin the rest was planned out...got layed off from my landscaping job while working my way through school. I started answering the phone at the current co i work for and fell in love with the business. I changed my plan to a BA focus and been with this company 30 years. long hours, hard word, good pay and we try to have fun as much as we can. find what you are passionate about and go with it. your education is good to have but many times it is a statement that you can set goals and achieve them. i know so many people who do not land in a field of their study but do very well because they follow they true passion. good luck and i hope you find exactly what you look for!

Turtlepete

South Florida
Well I'm only 18, but I run my own e-commerce businesses while doing some other odds and ends things. Never saw any hope in college, since the most likely outcome is that you will spend years of your life and 40 grand in student loans to get a degree in a flooded field. I've never excelled in academics anyways and would much prefer to work for myself. Not to mention e-commerce and other internet-run businesses are expanding rapidly. The overhead for running an actual storefront is becoming increasingly expensive while consumers move to purchasing from places like Amazon to get it cheaper and never have to leave their house. The downside is you spend a lot of time sitting on the computer. :rolleyes:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Well I'm only 18, but I run my own e-commerce businesses while doing some other odds and ends things. Never saw any hope in college, since the most likely outcome is that you will spend years of your life and 40 grand in student loans to get a degree in a flooded field. I've never excelled in academics anyways and would much prefer to work for myself. Not to mention e-commerce and other internet-run businesses are expanding rapidly. The overhead for running an actual storefront is becoming increasingly expensive while consumers move to purchasing from places like Amazon to get it cheaper and never have to leave their house. The downside is you spend a lot of time sitting on the computer. :rolleyes:
There are few 18 year olds as sorted as PETE!! Impressive.

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
Law Enforcement...Did my 20 years and retired. A challenging, but very rewarding career if you are interested in helping others, but don't like the medical profession. Now that I'm retired, and got bored staying home, I've been working for a Boar's Head distributor , which isn't as hectic or adventurous, but still involves interaction with people.

Good luck with whatever you decide....just hope you find something that you enjoy doing because that makes it worthwhile....