What is your day job?--Help with my quarterlife crisis

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I'm going through some online college courses now.
I just started last year in spring, so I'm almost finished with my mandatory English and Math catch up. I really don't know what I want my major to be, so in the meantime I'm taking Spanish, and am about to start German (because I don't want to lose my motivation by not not learning anything)
I've worked at a pizza shop for the last few years, and while I get really good tips and am definitely saving a bit, I'll have to get a different job someday.
...So back to that missing major.
Do you have any idea what you want to do?

Prairie Mom

I'm going through some online college courses now.
I just started last year in spring, so I'm almost finished with my mandatory English and Math catch up. I really don't know what I want my major to be, so in the meantime I'm taking Spanish, and am about to start German (because I don't want to lose my motivation by not not learning anything)
I've worked at a pizza shop for the last few years, and while I get really good tips and am definitely saving a bit, I'll have to get a different job someday.
...So back to that missing major.
Do you have any idea what you want to do?
Are you taking your foreign language courses online now too???? English and Math are standard online, but I'd be really curious about the foreign language.

Hmmm...I don't know what to say about the missing major, but I think you're smart for taking your time and continuing to take classes. What kind of stuff are you interested in? Any hobbies that could translate into work options? My husband is a professor and nothing beats that schedule! NOTHING! It is wonderful, but an extremely competitive field these days.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm an arborist. I work with trees. Takin care of sick or diseased trees plants and shrubs. It's fun. I make my own grafts. Last summer I made a fruit tree with 4 different types of fruit. Currently working on a mixed hibiscus shrub
I can't even keep fake plants alive. I envy green thumbs.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
How did they go about going down the zoo career path? Did they start with a bachelor's degree?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How did they go about going down the zoo career path? Did they start with a bachelor's degree?

It varies for everyone and depends on the zoo too. Some of them have doctorate degrees others don't even have a high school diploma.

Many people go through America's Teaching Zoo at Moorpark College here in Southern CA. That school will introduce you to many potential animal careers, including zoo keeper. Its a two year vocational program.

KellyKhaos

Central Florida
After 3 years of culinary school I'm pet/house sitter. I also work at / with a local wildlife sanctuary. I do social media stuff, work on the property & occasionally handle trap checks & collecting. But the best part is working with all the baby animals we get.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm an arborist. I work with trees. Takin care of sick or diseased trees plants and shrubs. It's fun. I make my own grafts. Last summer I made a fruit tree with 4 different types of fruit. Currently working on a mixed hibiscus shrub
sounds like something a mad scientist would do. mwahahahaha

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'll be in another situation soon.
After 36 years of this job. I'll be retiring but because I started so young and will still be in my early 50s, I'll want to start another career.
Back at square one...

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I'll be in another situation soon.
After 36 years of this job. I'll be retiring but because I started so young and will still be in my early 50s, I'll want to start another career.
Back at square one...
Any thoughts on what you are going to go into?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
That sounds like the best tree ever.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Are you taking your foreign language courses online now too???? English and Math are standard online, but I'd be really curious about the foreign language.

Hmmm...I don't know what to say about the missing major, but I think you're smart for taking your time and continuing to take classes. What kind of stuff are you interested in? Any hobbies that could translate into work options? My husband is a professor and nothing beats that schedule! NOTHING! It is wonderful, but an extremely competitive field these days.
Yes, Spanish has been fun :D
Did you ever take any in high school?

That's cool , what does he teach? I'm not a people person, so I don't think I'd do well :p