What is your day job?--Help with my quarterlife crisis

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Hmmm, day job,really? Laying around watching courtTV counts, right? Well I do tend to Stanley the sulcata as well, but that's only tossing in some weed treats a couple times a week. He's got himself a very large outdoor grazing yard now the the others were temporarily adopted out for me while I was in recovery from an automobile accident.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I found a Rose of Sharon that has red, white and blue blooms. I thought it was kinda neat. Don't know yet if it made it thru the winter....
I definitely hope so! I'm feeling the same way about all the tortoise plants I added last summer. The hibiscus seems to have established some serious roots so I think it'll be OK. Good thing the rabbits couldn't get in there too; they ate everything else in the yard!

M

Maggie Cummings

You have Hibiscus in Michigan?????? It lives thru your winter? That's why I have Rose of Sharon, because I thought Hibiscus couldn't handle the snow, freeze
etc. RedfootNerd gave me some RoS seeds some years ago. Now I have 28 RoS trees, the most beautiful things ever. But no big tortoise to eat them. One is a really pretty lavender, my sis says it's mallow. Looks like Rose of Sharon to me.....only more full and taller. The red white and blue one is a slow grower and only blooms one color at a time.
Well, I know this is the wrong thread for garden talk, so maybe I'll see you over there. Or simply listen, because when my very first Clematis blooms you'll hear my scream!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I worked 30 years at the phone company. Started as a long distance operator, then supervisor, then manager. After that I transferred over to the Engineering department and was a drafter, then supervisor, then Communications Engineer. During my 30 years at Ma Bell I raised 3 kids. I truly enjoyed my job and looked forward to going to work. But my best job is now. I'm the manager of the only turtle and tortoise rescue in my area.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I was an over the road truck driver. Best job I'd ever had. Now I think I'd like to write something. But I have no imagination......

I think that is why most authors write of their experiences in life, and then some call it fiction. You don't need imagination just recall. Try some out on us here. As a woman in a highly male dominated profession I imagine you have some interesting things to say. Male friends that are truck drivers do. Just start clikity claking at the keyboard. Something is bound to come out.

Motor Maggie's tales of the road...

M

Maggie Cummings

I think that is why most authors write of their experiences in life, and then some call it fiction. You don't need imagination just recall. Try some out on us here. As a woman in a highly male dominated profession I imagine you have some interesting things to say. Male friends that are truck drivers do. Just start clikity claking at the keyboard. Something is bound to come out.

Motor Maggie's tales of the road...
I like that idea, but I think that most 'elders' on TFO are sick of my stories....I ate lunch in the Mojave desert with Merle Haggard and his crew...

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
You have Hibiscus in Michigan?????? It lives thru your winter? That's why I have Rose of Sharon, because I thought Hibiscus couldn't handle the snow, freeze
etc. RedfootNerd gave me some RoS seeds some years ago. Now I have 28 RoS trees, the most beautiful things ever. But no big tortoise to eat them. One is a really pretty lavender, my sis says it's mallow. Looks like Rose of Sharon to me.....only more full and taller. The red white and blue one is a slow grower and only blooms one color at a time.
Well, I know this is the wrong thread for garden talk, so maybe I'll see you over there. Or simply listen, because when my very first Clematis blooms you'll hear my scream!!!
Oh yeah, it totally grows here! We actually have 2 native Hibiscus species in Michigan! I was surprised when I learned too. We have Hibiscus moscheutos and Hibiscus laevis. You can use the USDA Plants Database to look up species. Here's a link to Hibiscus mosheutos. I chose this one as it happened to be available at a local nursery. Here's a photo of it last summer: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/media/first-hibiscus-bloom.6139/

In this area, "rose of Sharon" probably refers to Hibiscus syriacus, which isn't native to Michigan (it's been introduced to some states), but it can survive to about zone 5. It's also called "althea." My parents have 1 or 2 in their yard. The tropical variety is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, and would have to stay indoors in Michigan. ;)

I started with The Tortoise Table and cross-referenced the safe-to-eat plants with our native plants species on The Native Plant Nursery database that my fianceé found. It was a lot of work, but definitely worth it, and not just for the tort. I have a better understanding of the plants around me too, which I'm always checking out when I'm out hiking. The things I learn just for my tortie!!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Oh yeah, it totally grows here! We actually have 2 native Hibiscus species in Michigan! I was surprised when I learned too. We have Hibiscus moscheutos and Hibiscus laevis. You can use the USDA Plants Database to look up species. Here's a link to Hibiscus mosheutos. I chose this one as it happened to be available at a local nursery. Here's a photo of it last summer: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/media/first-hibiscus-bloom.6139/

In this area, "rose of Sharon" probably refers to Hibiscus syriacus, which isn't native to Michigan (it's been introduced to some states), but it can survive to about zone 5. It's also called "althea." My parents have 1 or 2 in their yard. The tropical variety is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, and would have to stay indoors in Michigan. ;)

I started with The Tortoise Table and cross-referenced the safe-to-eat plants with our native plants species on The Native Plant Nursery database that my fianceé found. It was a lot of work, but definitely worth it, and not just for the tort. I have a better understanding of the plants around me too, which I'm always checking out when I'm out hiking. The things I learn just for my tortie!!
Sometimes rose of Sharon is called "mallow" too. It's confusing since some people called Malva plants "mallow." XD

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Respiratory Therapist. Working in a hospital (now a trauma center, yikes) is rewarding, difficult, sad, and the best decision I made when I went back to school. (I was 36 at the time). I'll have my 20 year anniversary this month with where I work, and will work there until I retire...

Good luck with what you decide to do. If you can find something you love or enjoy doing, it won't be so much like.. "work"