What is your favorite breed of tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrilac

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I thought it would be fun to know what your favorite breed of tortoise is. For those of you that only have one breed, what was it that made you choose that breed?

maevamichelle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Leopard Tortoise!
I love the shells and mine was just so adorable out of all the ones I saw at the show, after I looked at all the Vendors I practically ran back to it, hoping no one else had bought him!
Also beginning to love Indian / Burmese Star's and Aldabra's.. idk if i spelled that right =p

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I don't know if I prefer one over the other. My box turtles are so personable. My Sulcatas are curious & investigative. They run to the end of their corral when I go out cause they know that I must have food! My Redfoot loves attention, especially having her head rubbed. My Russians are always busy, moving around & checking out the bricks or the leaves or whatever in their corral. And my Leopard is so little and so beautiful, although s/he is shy.
Sorry I wasn't much help
Patsy

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
Well, I kind of wanted a burmese python, but since I don't want my children eaten...
My daughter picked out a sulcata tort at a pet store where we get feeder mice for the corns and so we found a breeder who happened to have some hatchlings born over the holidays. I wanna see how big he gets.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
By far the prettiest are the leos, IMHO but my fav is prob if I have to choose is the russians, I love all my guys but they are prob the coolest out of the bunch :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Russian. He's my first tort and so friendly and personable. They stay a manageable size and seem forgiving to beginner caretakers.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
They are usually known as species, not breeds :p!

LOL.

I would have to say Greeks. They have lovely domed shells, sweet personalities, and stay small.

I'll have two total come April :D

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I love my sulcatas! I love how they come runnin' when I come out. I know it's for the food, but I like to think it's because they want to see me!

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I would have to say my Russians! I love all of my torts and turtles but my female russian is my favorite.She comes out of her hide when i come into the room and she watches me.In fact that is what she is doing right now!Just a cool tortoise!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hermann Tortoises :)
Hermy is my first (and only) tortoise and he is just so adorable and he has his own personality. I dont really know why we decided (my fiance and I) to buy a Hermann tortoise, we just fell in love with him the first second we saw him :D

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
redfoots/yellowfoots are my fav. But marginateds are very cool becasue of their personality and how they are so tough

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi all!!! I mean no disrespect when I say that the correct word is "species" and it's a pet peeve of mine the other correct word is Geochelone sulcata,
not sully...then the other correct word is box turtle not boxie...I dearly love some of you but we gotta get this straight...:p with that said...my favorite species is Gopherus agassizii...California Desert Tortoise...The sweetest, most out-going, curious, wonderful, loving, most intelligent, fun, nosy, easy keeping tortoise that exists. I totally love them. They really are easy keepers. I forgot to say clowns didn't I...there are just not enough descriptive words to describe them this morning... I totally love them.

The other big favorites in my life are Chevrolet and NASCAR...race is gonna start at 11am to set the line up for the Daytona 500 Sunday...so I gotta go jump in the shower and get the bondo put on my face and have my chores done by 11 so I can plunk myself down on the sofa to watch the race...it's gonna be so fun for me this morning:D

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The Radiated Tortoise is my first pick due to it's size, friendliness, and of course shell pattern.

Galapagos and Red-footed tortoises have some of the best personalities in my experience. Those would be my other choices if I were able to provide them with an excellent enclosure.

But of course....all tortoises are great!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have to agree with Maggie on the desert tortoise. If you humanize them at a young age, they are just the bestest, friendlyest, funest tortoise around! (And believe me, I should know!):D

Yvonne

Barb92083

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would say Radiateds they are all different with a very outgoing personality. Patsy anyway could I see pics of your Chihuahua herd? Thanks Barb

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
emysemys said:
I have to agree with Maggie on the desert tortoise. If you humanize them at a young age, they are just the bestest, friendlyest, funest tortoise around! (And believe me, I should know!):D

Yvonne

I third that. Living where I do I have not had much chance to deal with them, but I have had the privalige to temporarily care for a few displaced (illegally here) Desert torts, and they are AMAZING. You can't believe how friendly they are, and with this species, I believe it is truly friendliness, not just food driven, lol :)

Kristina

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I only have 1 Tortoise, a Cherry Head..Pio. He is very sweet, friendly...BUT...my Three Toed "boxie" (sorry Maggie) has the best personality. IMO. She does the silliest things and makes me laugh all the time. I had water turtles for over 20 years, and thought they also had great personalities, but boxies are my favorite.
How could you not laugh at Izzy, when you pass by her viv. and see her digging for a worm like a lunitic? I guess Box Turtles are my favorite not Tortoises. (I still love Pio though.)
007-3.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Terry: That is just the cutest picture! I love that little butt sticking up in the air!

Yvonne

Karyn

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Boothywn, Pennsylvania
What an adorable picture, Terry.

My favorite, and only, tort is the RT. After much research, I chose the species because they stay small, are personable, and a good choice for a first-time owner.

After reading posts of other members, I am fascinated by many others, especially the bigger torts. :D Now, a new house with a bigger yard........

Status
Not open for further replies.