What is your favorite breed of tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrilac

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Thank you everyone! I love hearing about your stories and experiences. An hour ago my husband just unwrapped my very first tortoise, a Brazilian (cherry head) redfoot shipped to me from Florida. I am dying to get home and meet my little one. I will post pictures in the picture section when I get home from work tonight!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
carrilac said:
Thank you everyone! I love hearing about your stories and experiences. An hour ago my husband just unwrapped my very first tortoise, a Brazilian (cherry head) redfoot shipped to me from Florida. I am dying to get home and meet my little one. I will post pictures in the picture section when I get home from work tonight!

Congrats, Carrilac!!!! I'm sure that the cherry head redfoot tortoise is soon to be your very favorite "breed" of tortoise!!!

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

terryo said:
I only have 1 Tortoise, a Cherry Head..Pio. He is very sweet, friendly...BUT...my Three Toed "boxie" (sorry Maggie) has the best personality. IMO. She does the silliest things and makes me laugh all the time. I had water turtles for over 20 years, and thought they also had great personalities, but boxies are my favorite.
How could you not laugh at Izzy, when you pass by her viv. and see her digging for a worm like a lunitic? I guess Box Turtles are my favorite not Tortoises. (I still love Pio though.)
007-3.jpg

OMG!!! That is the bestest boxie picture ever!!! Seriously cute!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Something I wanted to point out.... I hate that they do this, because it gets confusing, but that is what scientific advancement is all about...

I am pretty sure that Sulcatas have been redesignated as Centrochelys sulcata, versus the Geochelone sulcata that they have been known as for years.

Kristina

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Who knows, M. emys emys are awesome, lol.. I just like emys emys and typing it.. only if all names were that easy.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It would be Chaco tortoises, Chelonoides chilensis, for me. :)

Kristina you can use either Geochelone or Centrochelys for sulcata right now. They haven't figured out which way to go yet. :p

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My favorite tortoise is the one I am currently looking at/working around. :D My children will tell you I never met a tortoise I didn't like and that's pretty true. With each of them, there is something special and intriguing to learn, to observe, to enjoy, and to share.

The Desert tortoise would be my all time favorite however. Elmer, the DT I cared for, was one of those wise looking old fellows. Calm, easy going, friendly, enchanting, and his personality was over spilling. Elmer loved being taken around for various exhibits and talks I gave. He took a huge piece of me with him, when he died. Some day, some how, fate is going to grace me with being able to care for another one. ;)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I love our Cherryhead "Dale". When we were first looking at tortoises we were looking at the Sucata and the Leopard (which I thought was very beautiful) and to tell you the truth we went right past Dale. Later on I noticed him, but I don't think my husband ever noticed him. Well we decided that the Sucata would grow to be too big for our first tortoise experience and we also did some reading and found out that the Redfoots are great beginner tortoises. The next time I went back I asked to hold Dale and actually I didn't think that he was that attractive, but after holding him for awhile I said "We'll take this one". That was it I fell in love with him and the funny thing now is that I think his colors are just beautiful. Now his color is better than ever and I think it's because I feed him so well (organic only) and so many different foods to choose from. Also the humidity in his tank helps his colors (they didn't have any humidity in his tank). Anyway I made this thread long just to say I love Cherryheads! P.S. After being on this site I've actually loved seeing all the different tortoises and learning from all of you how to take care of them. They're all great. Candy :D

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Barb92083 said:
I would say Radiateds they are all different with a very outgoing personality. Patsy anyway could I see pics of your Chihuahua herd? Thanks Barb

Hi Barb...My camera battery died. The camera didn't take that great of pictures so I don't want to waste money getting a new battery. I was going to get myself a new camera for Christmas, but ran out of moola!! I am hoping to get one in a couple of months. When I do, you all will be bombarded with pictures of all my 4 legged kids!!
Thanks for asking
Patsy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Of course, we all know that there is no right or wrong answer to this question, however, I like Jacqui's answer the best!

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.