What is your favorite species of tortoise?

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I'm just curious to see everyone's favorite species and why? What makes them so awesome?

Mine would have to be my sulcatas. I love that they all have such hardy personalities. I also like that they eat grass which means I will not have to mow their enclosures. (Lol) but I also love all my other torts!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
What a hard question..... I guess Redfoots and Calif Desert. :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I have little experience. I have an ornate boxie and my Leo trio. And I've had a 3 toed a long time ago.

I love my Leo's like I love my dogs and previous animals I have had. I love my boxie, but he is kind of aggressive when he doesn't want to be bothered. But holy moly he is gorgeous.

I hope to have sulcatas someday, like when my kids are grown or mostly grown.
I don't currently have the type of yard that would work for a Sulcata since they burrow, so I went with Leo's. I'm REALLY glad I did because they are beautiful and thoroughly entertaining. They have great personalities and are gorgeous.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Elohi said:
I don't currently have the type of yard that would work for a Sulcata since they burrow...

Not all of them burrow, and its pretty easy to discourage the ones that occasionally do try. In my group of adults I only got one attempt to dig every six months or so. I would just move the digger, shove the dirt back in the hole with my foot, and drop a cinder block in that spot for a couple of weeks. That is all it ever took. My outdoor living juries, never dig. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Don't let that detail stop you if you really want one. :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
South African leopards are my fav. Hardy, good size, great personalities, and high variability in pattern.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Tom said:
Elohi said:
I don't currently have the type of yard that would work for a Sulcata since they burrow...

Not all of them burrow, and its pretty easy to discourage the ones that occasionally do try. In my group of adults I only got one attempt to dig every six months or so. I would just move the digger, shove the dirt back in the hole with my foot, and drop a cinder block in that spot for a couple of weeks. That is all it ever took. My outdoor living juries, never dig. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Don't let that detail stop you if you really want one. :)

Good to know tom! Thank you!
Of course I may be kidding myself about digging my yard. My home was placed on bedrock. Sod laid over a layer of dirt they had dumped in. There are some places that are impossible to dig at all. Hahahaha.
A jack hammer was required when they built the fence...

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
Elohi said:

Yeah! But what's your favorite, Tom!:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not a tortoise, but my very favorite are the box turtles. They are just so personable. Next would be the Manouria.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
That is by far one of the hardest questions for me:) I love the interaction and personality that Sulcatas have. I enjoy watching/observing my Leopards and Sri Lankan stars. For a smaller tortoise species, the Hermanns are so personable as well:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know that I can pick a favorite. Each species has its good and bad points. It just depends on the day you ask me.

My favorites are:
Sulcatas
South African Leopards
Russians
Hermanns
Burmese Stars
Radiateds
and Galapagos

I like a lot of the other ones too, but I've eliminated them from my wish list for a variety of reasons.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I personally like the red footed torts the most . Then it would be my sulcatas they are grumpy sometimes . My favorite water turtles would be alligator snappers just because they look prehistoric . Then it would be the common snapping turtle . The the red ear sliders . They are just cool to watch .

tortgirl123

Stuck between the red foot and the Galapagos .I love the red foots because their coloring is beautiful! And Galapagos are so unique, they are like Dino's! They are so fascinating!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Until I have owned all species I could not honestly answer this question. A ploughshare would surely be on my list

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
My favorites are K.lobatsiana and I.forstenii.
The lobatsiana are very rare but they are pretty easy to hold. And forstenii are just beautiful!