What is your favorite species of tortoise?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
ive only worked with russian's but a friend has a red foot that has made me want to get one which i'm doing next week they just seem so active and curious and like to explore where as my russians would just be like garbage disposal's all they wanted to do is eat eat eat eat and they are still that way even in a huge outdoor enclosure (a friend in california has them now)

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I have to agree with the fact that since I have not kept every single species out there, it's difficult to really make a strong decision. Having said that, I think I can say that I've worked with a good amount. Everything from Aldabras, to the spiders, to stars, to radiata, the big Africans, many Asian species, the Testudos, the red foots, the yellow foots, the North American tortoises, the hingebacks...the list goes on. So, out of what I have had the pleasure of being hands on with I'm sure most of you know I'm a Hermann's fanatic. Mainly the Western Hermann's (T. h. hermanni). Why? Rarity, personality, size and that yellow. You just don't see that kind of yellow even on the highest of high yellow stars.

Following close behind the hermanni, are without a doubt, at least in my current collection:

Manouria emys phayrei (the ACTUAL living dinosaurs)
Testudo marginata (big points here, phenomenal species)
Astrochelys radiata (can't beat that walk with that domed shell)
Geochelone platynota (personality through the roof)
Gopherus berlandieri (the "wild wild west" tortoise)

But let's face it....they're all awesome in one way or another, common or rare, just fantastic creatures that every single one of us should kiss the ground we walk on for being lucky enough to have them.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Absolutely #1 with me are Hermann's, although I like all of the Testudo family.

If I lived somewhere that the weather stayed warm enough for them to live outside 24/7/365, I love an Aldabra, too.

plamphier

5 Year Member
So. California
I have two Russians but hands down fave, my 30 yr. old CA Desert Tortoise Teddy, who takes the cake. He's not beautiful on first inspection if you've seen the gopheri, they're dusty looking and not wildly colored), but there's something so other-worldly and sweet about him. When I take him to college for environmentalism classes the kids go crazy for him.

argus333

5 Year Member
black burmese, aldabra, sulcata, leopard, burms have best personalities of any tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
argus333 said:
...burms have best personalities of any tortoise.

Hmmm... How many sulcata have you raised? How many burms?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I only have two tortoises, but I really dream on getting a variety of species once I'm older and settled down. I think my dream tortoise is a sulcata. But my favorites would have to be the two I keep; hermanns and russian.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
This somewhat depends on which aspect the keeper is looking at. Each species is completely diverse and unique. From a biological standpoint I find the Psammobates(Tent/Geometric), Chilensis(Chaco), Pyxis(Spider), Homopus(Padlopers) and Bolsen most intriguing. They are exposed to such extreme temperatures and deathly landscapes. it amazes me how they thrive in such the ways they do and stay oh so very small(except the Bolsen). A lovely design nature indented for these. Especially the Geometric(psammobates geometricus) the eldest of the tortoises from Pangaea times.

Personality wise I give hands down to Manouria and Indotestudo for sure.

Intelligence I also give to Manouria

My favorite out of the collection would be Hinge-backs, Egyptians, Mountains, and the favorite of all is the Chacos. They are the most interesting species, great personality, tiny size, and very curious with intelligent wonders.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
RADIATED being my dream tort.....:) i still love my Indian star...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Aldabra, of course i am very biased, lol!

24xgadv.jpg

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
In terms of the species I would like, manouria impressa, indotestudo forstenii and some of the S.African species, like homophus sp. and psammobates sp.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My favorite type ( I don't know the name but) it has a tail , 4 legs , a shell , and a head ! Sorry I gess I'm trieing to say I love them ALL :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Nolan1992

Personality: Aldabra, Sulcata, Hermanni
Attractiveness: Aldabra, Radiated, Sri Lankan Star

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I've only ever had a Hermanns, but I definitely think I made the right choice...they are my perfect tort. I love the looks and personality, and just everything.

If I didn't have to be practical about environment and space and money and all that, I'd love Aldabras. I go through AldabraMan's photos like candy. I would never own one but I'd love to just experience them.

Not tortoises, but I do plan on foraying into box turtles once my fiance and I settle down and buy a home. I always enjoy living vicariously through members here who have them. I'd love to get a small group of them and build them a great backyard. They're probably my second favorites. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

That actually is a harder question than it seems. My most favorite I think are Gopherus agassizii, but then there's Bob with the big Sulcata personality, or my box turtles with the charming personalities and my one Hermanni, Queenie who is a really easy keeper. Guess I do not have a definitive answer...