What is your guess on the sex?

JaymeR

Hi Tortoise Family... I think my little tortoise (11 years) is finally getting big enough to tell the sex. I used to think for sure it was another female but looking at it now I am thinking its showing signs of a male.... what is your guess? The first pic is our little 11 year old that we have had since he was 1 year. The second is our female which we have had for 12 years and was in her teens when we got her. She has laid eggs a year or two ago, 6/8 eggs but never fertilized. We thought maybe our baby was a male but couldn't tell then... but maybe now?
If it is male, is it automatic that they will mate or do they sometimes never mate and just stay pals. LOL

IMG_7371.JPG IMG_7372.JPG

Kenno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Could you show the bottom at more of an angle? From straight on it looks pretty flat like a female.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think the 11 year old is female too. It's probably a good thing because Calofornia's Dept. of Fish & Wildlife frowns upon intentionally breeding them.

JaymeR

IMG_7381.jpg
Could you show the bottom at more of an angle? From straight on it looks pretty flat like a female.

Here is the 11 year old... my larger female is completely flat, no curve at all. This one has a slight curve like if you turned your hand over straight, you would still have a curve in your palm.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Both look alike: same tail size and shape, same feminine head shape. The 11 year old looks like a female to me.