What kind is this?

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Yesterday, I saw an add for this animal. It says it's a tortoise that won't grow any bigger than 12 cm. Can anyone help me ID this animal (sorry for the bad pics)?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454309584.388927.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454309599.123082.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454309741.974876.jpg

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Central American Wood Turtle, Rhinoclemmys pulcherimma, if I recall correctly. Largely terrestrial, I once fostered one of these. They're highly intelligent, very responsive little critters. You can keep them like a tropical box turtle. Mostly terrestrial, they enjoy a good bit of humidity (mine was always active in the rain). They're omnivores in the truest sense, taking down any prey they can subdue while opportunistically feeding on a wide variety of fruits and veggies. Their size depends upon the particular subspecies, which is something in which I'm hardly an expert. But I have seen some that were under the six inch mark, and I've seen others that were quite a bit larger. I don't know if there's differing care requirements concerning the varying subspecies. But anywho, at least you have a name for the particular beastie. Now it's time to do some research.

T.G.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
mine is a moving garbage collector------if its soft enough to swallow, he will swallow

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Thanks a lot! I'm not really planning on buying this animal, but I was curious because the species wasn't mentioned in the ad (and I love to learn).

He looks beautiful though :)