What kind of caterpillar is on my mustard greens?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
A recent rain really exploded the size of my mustard greens :) but there also appears to be someone snacking on the leaves... :eek:

IMG_4784.jpg

Upon a closer look, we found 4 caterpillars, in the red circles below:
IMG_4785.jpg
Any ideas on what kind of caterpillar (location: southeast Michigan)? We sprayed them off with water and then captured them in a glass jar so they can't escape. We looked but we didn't see more than these four. I'm not sure what I should use on the plant to keep away any future bugs — the only thing I could think of was vinegar (a light spritzing of it with a spray bottle?). It looks like the ants may be interested in the plant too. Are there any more natural/non-chemical solutions to this problem since it's part of my tortoise garden? I have not yet sprayed any vinegar. Thanks! :<3:

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Soapy water works pretty good for ants on most of my plants.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I get them here too. I never tried to let one mature to see what it turned into, but I see several types of moths flying around at night when I water my growing tables.

When I find those caterpillars, or any other caterpillar on my greens, I call them "dead". Or sometimes "squished". Any spiders that find their way inside my house get released on these greens tables to feast at will.

Its a war out there. Know who your enemies and allies are. :)

I also release mantids, lacewings and lady bug larvae. This makes a dent every year, but it doesn't eliminate the bugs. I don't want soap or vinegar on plants that I'm going to feed to my tortoises.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan