What kind of fridge for hibernation

Kez

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi, after much deliberation I think I have decided to fridge hibernate Ron this year. Could anyone please help with what type of fridge I would need? Conflicting advice as per, I was originally advised a larder style fridge without an icebox, then told they can freeze on the back panel. Wine cooler fridges I have looked at seem to not be able to alter the temperature. Would a drink fridge be a better option?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just bought an inexpensive, no frills, type of fridge and put it in the garage. It does have a freezer down below, and we use it for other stuff too now. Wine fridges don't get cold enough. Small dorm room type fridges didn't hold a steady temp for me. A regular sized fridge has worked the best and is easy to adjust. You might be able to find something used locally at a good price.

Kez

United Kingdom
Thanks Tom. I’m struggling to find a drinks fridge big enough & most don’t have removable shelves therefore making the space even smaller. A larder style fridge should be okay then if I use a temp controller as Blackdog suggested. Thank you.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I got a smallish (2.7cf) fridge from Walmart for $89. I set it to its lowest/warmest setting and have been tracking its temps/humidity with a govee sensor for a couple of weeks.

9381D204-9FE6-4DB2-A792-469F6CA0CEB3.jpeg

It's pretty stable and seems in the right range for hibernating my Russian. I filled the excess space in the fridge with water bottles to act as thermal mass to prevent temp swings when I open the fridge to check on Chili, or of the power goes out for short periods.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A 2.1 degree range is a pretty good Jaimie. The ones I tried varied from 6-15 degrees over the course of a day, also with extra stuff packed in there for thermal mass.

Kez

United Kingdom
Hi Jamie. Thanks for your response. That looks good. I need to buy one soon so I can monitor temps for a while. I have Tortoises hibernation records from 1987 & he’s usually gone late November early December time. I’ll ensure to put water bottles in the free space. Do you guys put your Tortoises in a box & use a substrate as well?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use plastic food containers with small holes drilled in them for ventilation.

I've used all sorts of different substrates over the years. Most recently, orchid bark.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I use plastic food containers with small holes drilled in them for ventilation.

I've used all sorts of different substrates over the years. Most recently, orchid bark.

Do you dampen the substrate, or just put it into the fridge as is?

Jamie

Reactions: Kez

Kez

United Kingdom
I’ll get a food container & drill some holes. I have some orchid bark so I’ll use that. Thank you for your advice.

lionheartHC

OH
I got a smallish (2.7cf) fridge from Walmart for $89. I set it to its lowest/warmest setting and have been tracking its temps/humidity with a govee sensor for a couple of weeks.

View attachment 281602

It's pretty stable and seems in the right range for hibernating my Russian. I filled the excess space in the fridge with water bottles to act as thermal mass to prevent temp swings when I open the fridge to check on Chili, or of the power goes out for short periods.

Jamie

Hey Jamie, would you mind sending me a link to that specific fridge? I’m looking to pick one up this week.