What kind of goldfish is this?

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
I was at Petco looking at fish (since, I have a tortoise and turtles my girlfriend HAD to have her own pet so, I talked her into fish.) And while looking at there fish I noticed one didn't have a dorsal fin. It looks either like a Lionhead, Eggfish, or Ranchu but the other fish in the tank with it were the same color but had a Dorsal Fin and were a little bit different of a shape. I know a lot of dorsalless goldfish are too rare to be bought at a local pet store but I dont think they were aware of the difference in the fishes in the tank. What do you all think?

Attachments

• 1393110678787.jpg
    1393110678787.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 1393110720725.jpg
    1393110720725.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 98

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It looks like one too me. The fish for Petco, petsmart, etc, are picked for them from the warehouse and placed in a separate roped area so the other fish store owners don't take them. Unlike, smaller fish stores that will go to the warehouses and hand pick what they want in their stores, the big chain stores don't care. Not everyone at the warehouses know every type if fish, nor the people doing the collecting for the larger warehouses. I'm sure a rarer fish slips by every once in a while. He's cute, I would get him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Probably an eggfish. Known as the Maruko in Japan, this is the proto-breed of all dorsalless goldfish...the common ancestor and precursor to all the dorsalless varieties of goldfish today.

This is what it says on the website I found:

If you can find them in the US at all, they will probably be expensive...$100 or more. Juvenile Lionheads are sometimes mislabelled in the US as Eggfish, but they are not real Eggfish. As they age they will develop wen.

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
He was only 3 dollars. Lol but I have been to several different pet stores since then and I have yet to see any other dorsal-less goldfish. So, regardless ii know he's unique.

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
I bought him the second I seen him. It wasn't until after I did so that I reliezed that I might of found myself a goldfish of the rare variety.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
It looks like one too me. The fish for Petco, petsmart, etc, are picked for them from the warehouse and placed in a separate roped area so the other fish store owners don't take them. Unlike, smaller fish stores that will go to the warehouses and hand pick what they want in their stores, the big chain stores don't care. Not everyone at the warehouses know every type if fish, nor the people doing the collecting for the larger warehouses. I'm sure a rarer fish slips by every once in a while. He's cute, I would get him.

I didn't know all this.

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Is there anyway to identify him so, I can know, for sure, what kind of goldfish he is?

TardisTortoise

10 Year Member!
Lionheads have short tail fins like that. It is still small, so it is a little hard to tell.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
tylrhadn111 said:
I bought him the second I seen him. It wasn't until after I did so that I reliezed that I might of found myself a goldfish of the rare variety.

For three dollar, It maybe just a deformed feeder fish?

What water temperature that fish was incubated? The fish supplier try to get female fish??????????????????????:p:p:p:p:p

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Yeah, he's not an Oranda. Hes either a Lionhead or Ranchu. & him being three dollars doesnt mean much because I honestly think the pet store that I bought him from didn't know what kind of fish they had.