What kind of Greek Tort is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
This is Goldie,don't know if this tort is a he or she yet. But would like some help in IDing what species of Greek she is.
If you were to guess also, about how old is she?

AngieCIMG2318.JPGCIMG2321.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Angie,
It looks to be a Turkish T.g.ibera and probably a female. :D She's probably around a year old.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Angie, she is a very nice looking tort. Goldie seems to have a nice smooth carapace. Do you know how much she weighs or what her lenght is?

AngieB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Angie, she is a very nice looking tort. Goldie seems to have a nice smooth carapace. Do you know how much she weighs or what her lenght is?

She measured at 2 1/4 inches . I don't know how much she weighs, I don't have any scales as yet. That was to be my next question, what scales should I get to weigh her and my Marginate? Something that doesn't cost a lot but is accurate and easy to read.

AngieB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi Angie,
It looks to be a Turkish T.g.ibera and probably a female. :D She's probably around a year old.

Danny

Thank You Danny. Here is my next question, she has been housed with a Marginated since I have gotten both of them. The lady I purchased them from kept them together since they were hatclings. Should I seperate the two, or leave them as is for now?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Angie, a postal scale would be fine. they carry inexpensive scales at Walmart if there is one in your area. Just make sure it has grams. I got mine from a computer show and it is a kitchen scale and came with a bowl. It weighs in grams and lbs. You can place a bowl on the scale and tare it to zero then place your little one in the bowl and get the correct weight. Mine is digital. I have seen similar types at Walmart and home centers.

AngieB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Angie, a postal scale would be fine. they carry inexpensive scales at Walmart if there is one in your area. Just make sure it has grams. I got mine from a computer show and it is a kitchen scale and came with a bowl. It weighs in grams and lbs. You can place a bowl on the scale and tare it to zero then place your little one in the bowl and get the correct weight. Mine is digital. I have seen similar types at Walmart and home centers.

Ohhhh... I have one of those kitchen scales w/a bowl, it isn't digital tho. Wish it was, I am not very good at the gram/oz/lb stuff. I will have to dig it out and give it a go!

Thank You!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
At some point in time you will need to seperate them if they turn out to be a male and female or 2 males. 2 females maybe able to live together, but Marginated can be very aggressive.
If it was me I'd seperate them. :D

Danny

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
Beautiful tort! Looks like a golden greek. Is she actually wide like that or is it digital effects, but cute shape though?

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
egyptiandan said:
Hi Angie,

Danny

If it were really a Turkish Ibera then it's much lighter color than my 5 Iberas. Anyway it's very beautiful!!!

S

stells

Ibera come in a variety of colours i have one that looks very similar to this one ;)

AngieB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
(quote=Lil' Tortie]
Beautiful tort! Looks like a golden greek. Is she actually wide like that or is it digital effects, but cute shape though?
[/quote]

Yeah, that's her, in her glory.
Here a a couple more pics of her.

CIMG2311.JPGCIMG2125.JPGCIMG2099.JPG

AngieB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
sushisurf13 said:
ANGIEB
I'd love to see some pics of the Marginated. I have two and I love these little guys!

Here ya go! I know I too love my little Margie, I would like another one. They have so much personallity, Margie is always on the go. Very different than Goldie. Margie gets up way early, like 4-5 am, where Goldie sleeps until 9 or 10 . So very different.
CIMG2310.JPG CIMG2106.JPGCIMG2178.JPG

AngieB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Angie,
Here is an easy conversion system. I use all the time. I'm not good at the gram, oz and pound thing either nor am I good at mm, cm and inches or C to F. So this has been a really great help to me.
http://curezone.com/conversions.asp

Thank You Robyn. This is just what I needed! I will try and weigh the torts today and see what I come up with!

AngieB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
At some point in time you will need to seperate them if they turn out to be a male and female or 2 males. 2 females maybe able to live together, but Marginated can be very aggressive.
If it was me I'd seperate them. :D

Danny

Thanks Danny, I was thinking the same as to seperating them. I have noticed Margie being a little bossy at times with Goldie, so seperating it is. Need to get a few things to do this, I have a under the bed storage container, just need some sand,soil and a light, oh and to figure out where to put an extra house!

AngieB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:

With the help of the coversion table , Goldie weighs 56.69 grams
Marige wieghs 42.52 grams.
Do the weights seem ok?
I also noticed that Goldies eyes are a little watery this am , does anyone know why? She didnt get up until 11 and then I had to nodge her. Her nose seems fine, no bubbles and are clear.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Angie, sometimes their eyes water because they are dry. do you have a humid hide for Goldie? What are the humidity and temp readings in her enclosure?
There is a thing called the Jackson Ratio it is a way to measure your tort (Greeks and hermanni) to see if they are within a good weight to lenght size. I worked out Goldie and according to the graph she is fine.
Here is a site to get the graph for hatchlings.
http://tortoiseforum.org/jackson-ratio-for-hatchling-tortoises-t-799.html

AngieB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Angie, sometimes their eyes water because they are dry. do you have a humid hide for Goldie?
There is a thing cald the Jackson Ratio it is a way to measure your tort (Greeks and hermanni) to see if they are within a good weight to lenght size. I worked out Goldie and according to the graph she is fine.
Here is a site to get the graph for hatchlings.
http://tortoiseforum.org/jackson-ratio-for-hatchling-tortoises-t-799.html

I was thinking that she was a little dry. I just got done seperating her and Margie, been a busy morning! I will have to make a humid hide for her, from what I have read this is done by just wetting a piece of sponge and attaching it to the hide right? Under a light or not?
I will post pics of her new enclosure when I get caught up around here.
And Thank You for doing my homework for me, it is good to know she is doing fine weight and length wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.