what kind of hay besides timothy

Location (City and/or State)
minnesota
I have been out of hay (timothy) and there is none available yet in my area (from farmers). I am still searching to see what my other hay eaters can have (rabbits, guinea pigs) but what other hays can a sulcata have? I find mixed info. The hay I see available in my area right now is alfalfa/brome/clover/timothy mixtures an one other kind that I can't think of the day at moment- which is also a mixture. Does anyone know if that is ok until timothy becomes available?

minnesota
I have been out of hay (timothy) and there is none available yet in my area (from farmers). I am still searching to see what my other hay eaters can have (rabbits, guinea pigs) but what other hays can a sulcata have? I find mixed info. The hay I see available in my area right now is alfalfa/brome/clover/timothy mixtures an one other kind that I can't think of the day at moment- which is also a mixture. Does anyone know if that is ok until timothy becomes available?
Stupid phone- not think of "day," think of NAME. I don't know why it changes my words!

minnesota
~ We feed mostly orchard grass hay. If not available, i have used a mixed blend, however if it is not green and soft, some of ours simply prefer other options.

Yes! Orchard that was the other one I couldn't think of lol. Everything I find right now is a mix. I am new to buying from farmers. I always bought from pet stores but that costs a fortune. Thanks for the info and ill be sure to look for green stuff.

minnesota
I don't like timothy hay because its too tough and stemmy. I prefer orchard grass hay or bermuda hay.
It is tough and stemmy, and I have found a few times where he had one caught in areas between she'll be body. I wish I could find a farmer that only had orchard and not a blend. I'm going going look a little more. Thank you for responding!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If in a bind for some you can always go to the feed stores, not pet stores. Won't be the freshest but better then nothing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is tough and stemmy, and I have found a few times where he had one caught in areas between she'll be body. I wish I could find a farmer that only had orchard and not a blend. I'm going going look a little more. Thank you for responding!
They also sell "horse cubes" that might work for your situation. Just make sure it is plain hay with nothing added. No molasses or "binding agents". These can be soaked and fed plain or mixed with other stuff.

minnesota
They also sell "horse cubes" that might work for your situation. Just make sure it is plain hay with nothing added. No molasses or "binding agents". These can be soaked and fed plain or mixed with other stuff.
That's a good idea. I never never of that. I have to feed store here, I should see what they have. I got 2 bales of hay today. It's a mix of orchard/brome/timothy and they said a small amount of clover. So far guinea pigs ate it, bunny's smelled it and sulcata (cletus) walked over it lol. I'm hoping he will give it a try eventually if he looks at it long enough. I have no idea what brome is. I googled and didn't come up with a whole lot on it. I think it's a grass?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a good idea. I never never of that. I have to feed store here, I should see what they have. I got 2 bales of hay today. It's a mix of orchard/brome/timothy and they said a small amount of clover. So far guinea pigs ate it, bunny's smelled it and sulcata (cletus) walked over it lol. I'm hoping he will give it a try eventually if he looks at it long enough. I have no idea what brome is. I googled and didn't come up with a whole lot on it. I think it's a grass?
I've never heard of "brome" either. Don't have any idea what that is.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Brome -
  1. an oatlike grass that is sometimes grown for fodder or ornamental purposes.

Bromus is a large genus of grasses, classified in its own tribe Bromeae. They are commonly known as bromes, brome grasses, cheat grasses or chess grasses. Wikipedia

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I feed mostly Teff to my adult sulcata. Also have plenty of orchard grass and orchard grass hay, but Teff has become my mainstay. Teff has stalks, just not as thick as timothy or alfalfa and has more leaf than either of them.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I use "grass hay" my local feed store carries. It is softer than even the orchard grass hay they carry. I find my sulcatas prefer this to any of the hays I have used. The centers of the bales retain the green color to the grass quite a long time, and my sulcatas really go after it when I spread out a new flake.

minnesota
I feed mostly Teff to my adult sulcata. Also have plenty of orchard grass and orchard grass hay, but Teff has become my mainstay. Teff has stalks, just not as thick as timothy or alfalfa and has more leaf than either of them.
I haven't heard of teff. But then again I am new to the hay business. I live in minnesota, im not sure but I different areas of the US grow different hays?

minnesota
I use "grass hay" my local feed store carries. It is softer than even the orchard grass hay they carry. I find my sulcatas prefer this to any of the hays I have used. The centers of the bales retain the green color to the grass quite a long time, and my sulcatas really go after it when I spread out a new flake.
I'm going to be checking out my feed store to see what they have. This hay I bought is not a hit with any of my animals. My sulcata has made a nice bed out of it though lol. But I did see him pick out a timothy hay thing. Not sure what you call it. The things that grow on the ends. He found 1.