What kind of plant is this and is it safe to feed?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Alief
71C04096-BEE9-4F00-ABED-1358F9AF52D0.jpeg
6a8b052a-76ed-4407-a80e-b1db1a85b03f-jpeg.304543
9867C994-77DF-487C-B185-E6527D460560.jpeg

Attachments

• 6A8B052A-76ED-4407-A80E-B1DB1A85B03F.jpeg
    6A8B052A-76ED-4407-A80E-B1DB1A85B03F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 116
  • AE8ECC19-D638-4B1D-95A1-1A5989E1A86E.jpeg
    AE8ECC19-D638-4B1D-95A1-1A5989E1A86E.jpeg
    854.2 KB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! If I send you some $$$ will you send me 3 or 4 pads of that cactus? I don't have that variety and I love the jagged edges on the pads.

I don't know what the first plant is, but it almost looks like it's in the mulberry family. @RosemaryDW ??

Happytort27

CA
It almost looks like Carolina bristlemallow, but I can’t tell for sure...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The cactus is the "Old Mexico" variety. I got some from Dean years ago. Its safe to feed, but the glochids are pretty bad on that type. Doesn't bother the tortoise one bit, but you will need some heavy duty long cuffed rubber gloves to handle it. Unless you like pain, skin irritation and misery... :)

I don't know the round leafed plant.

@Yvonne G I can bring you some on my next visit if you like. I'll be going up to Bakersfield starting in October/Nov, and if you keep an eye out for areas of heavy rabbit overpopulation up there for me, I might be convinced to take a drive to Clovis. :D You'd be welcome to come along if you wanted.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
The cactus is the "Old Mexico" variety. I got some from Dean years ago. Its safe to feed, but the glochids are pretty bad on that type. Doesn't bother the tortoise one bit, but you will need some heavy duty long cuffed rubber gloves to handle it. Unless you like pain, skin irritation and misery... :)

@Yvonne G I can bring you some on my next visit if you like. I'll be going up to Bakersfield starting in October/Nov, and if you keep an eye out for areas of heavy rabbit overpopulation up there for me, I might be convinced to take a drive to Clovis. :D You'd be welcome to come along if you wanted.

Are you going to be driving by Seattle :) ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I've been sheltering at home since long before it was popular to do so. I don't have any opportunities to look for rabbit fields, sorry.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Wow! If I send you some $$$ will you send me 3 or 4 pads of that cactus? I don't have that variety and I love the jagged edges on the pads.

I don't know what the first plant is, but it almost looks like it's in the mulberry family. @RosemaryDW ??
I saw it when I went to go get a haircut I asked if I can get some they said take as much as I would like.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I saw it when I went to go get a haircut I asked if I can get some they said take as much as I would like.
Bring rubber gloves. Thick rubber gloves. Wear pants and some sort of shoe that is all closed in like a work boot or something. Any pleats, vents, holes or venting of any kind in your shoes will collect falling glochids and serve them up to your feet for months. And no flip flops either. Ask me how I know these things...

Don't learn these lessons the hard way. :mad:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you going to be driving by Seattle :) ?
HA! That is just slightly out of the way for me...

Plus I hate cold overcast weather. I'm not sure I would even survive the drive. I read that Seattle went 272 consecutive days of rain a few years back. Just thinking about it depresses me. I work with a lady that loves that kind of weather. She's from Oregon. I keep telling her she moved to the wrong place. We get more sunny days here then even the rest of sunny southern California because of this little mini mountain range that holds back the marine layer in spring. No June gloom or May gray up here. Sunny and warm all year long. :)

AgataP

Seattle, WA
HA! That is just slightly out of the way for me...

Plus I hate cold overcast weather. I'm not sure I would even survive the drive. I read that Seattle went 272 consecutive days of rain a few years back. Just thinking about it depresses me. I work with a lady that loves that kind of weather. She's from Oregon. I keep telling her she moved to the wrong place. We get more sunny days here then even the rest of sunny southern California because of this little mini mountain range that holds back the marine layer in spring. No June gloom or May gray up here. Sunny and warm all year long. :)

When I get enough of gray I jump in a car cross the mountain range and I have the sun. We have a family in Cali so we have a place to run to as well.
Will the groceries store cactus be ok ? I prefer not to buy it but if thats something that is beneficial for my little guy I get some. Well I will look for seeds and plant some.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I get enough of gray I jump in a car cross the mountain range and I have the sun. We have a family in Cali so we have a place to run to as well.
Will the groceries store cactus be ok ? I prefer not to buy it but if thats something that is beneficial for my little guy I get some. Well I will look for seeds and plant some.
The grocery store ones are totally fine.

I've never grown cactus from seed. You can just buy pads and stick them in the ground or a pot.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Man, I don’t know mulberries at all, or what grows in Texas BUT, hmm, I wonder if that plant is going to grow into a more obviously looking brassica in a few days. It can’t be and yet...

Can you send a photo of it in three or four days, further away from the plant.