what kind of tort do you guys think this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

equinebeing

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Davis, Ca
So I had been planning on getting a tortoise for a while, and I really had my heart set on a baby golden greek. I was however having a lot of trouble finding a baby golden greek when this guy kind of fell into my lap. I do expect that he is full grown and the person I got him from told me he was a hermann tortoise, but I'm not sure if this is accurate. He was sleeping when I took this picture so I didn't move him around but if you guys want something more detailed just let me know what you need to see and I'll get it up asap.

So, best guesses? What would you say I have here? Even though he isn't what I originally was planning on (and an adult to boot) I am really so very happy with Samson. He didn't eat for me something like the first week and I was stressing a little but he's got a great appetite now and I'm slowly working on getting his enclosure more decorated because it seems like he gets bored some days.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

P.S. I'd say he's about 4 inches long.

photo.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum!!!

To tell you the honest truth, I think that IS a Golden Greek....

equinebeing

5 Year Member
Davis, Ca
oh wow! that would be so lucky if it was haha, I wasn't expecting that. What makes you say it's a greek?

Thanks again!

Also, thanks so much for the welcome! :D I know I'm going to learn a lot here.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Truthfully, for me it was just a gut feeling. I didn't read the passage and zoomed right to the picture and that was my first impression. Having no personal experience with either species though puts me at a disadvantage and I wouldn't say my id is the most reliable in this case.

After looking at the differences I think it could just as easily be a hermanns like you thought in your first post. EgyptianDan will be on here tomorrow probably and he usually is the most accurate and gives the final "word" on identification threads.

You're right, there's a whole wealth of information on here. I daresay that just about everything you need to know has already been asked and some things you're only curious about as well. Feel free to search the archives and to ask as many questions as you want. We're all glad to help where we can.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Equinebeing:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

A Hermann's has more black markings on the shell. I don't know anything about Greeks or Hermanns, but my impression is Greek too.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Aren't there lighter colored hermans though? I thought one subspecies was more blonde.

equinebeing

5 Year Member
Davis, Ca
Thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate it!

By the way, my name is Stephanie and I live in southern California, but I'm currently in school at UC Davis which is near Sacramento --if you know it. :)

Thanks again!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I stick by my impression that it is a Greek. If you could take a picture of the plastron (bottom shell) and also a side view, it could be helpful.

equinebeing

5 Year Member
Davis, Ca
kyryah said:
I stick by my impression that it is a Greek. If you could take a picture of the plastron (bottom shell) and also a side view, it could be helpful.

Here are the pictures you asked for! Thanks once again for all the help. Hope these help haha, he didn't like it much :p

DSC00566.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Stephanie:

Now this is just too much of a coincidence to be believed! You originally wanted a Golden Greek. Someone gives you a tortoise...or rather, it fell into your lap, and it turns out to be a Golden Greek! What are the chances????

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Wow, that really is something. HA, lucky you!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
:D Welcome to TFO :D Congrats on the new tortie, he is a cutie! That's amazing that it is just the tortie you wanted only adult! :D

M

Maggie Cummings

I say male Golden Greek too...and BTW not all of us are guys

equinebeing

5 Year Member
Davis, Ca
maggie3fan said:
I say male Golden Greek too...and BTW not all of us are guys

Err sorry just a figure of speech I guess.

Now this is just too much of a coincidence to be believed! You originally wanted a Golden Greek. Someone gives you a tortoise...or rather, it fell into your lap, and it turns out to be a Golden Greek! What are the chances????

Haha, yeah I guess there was a reason I was drawn to the way he looked. I hope I can make him really happy during our time together :D

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Congratulations on you new tortoise! He is beautiful - and I agree - a golden greek (but maybe mixed with Antakyan?)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Very pretty tort. He looks to me like he was taken care of:)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I didn't think of that before Kimber, but there is that little patch of yellow on the head...

Status
Not open for further replies.