What kind of Tortoise do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikaO

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm brand new to this site. I just acquired a tortoise from a man who said he bought it as a baby two years ago from a pet store. He said it is an African tortoise. My husband took it in to a little pet store and they told him it was probably a sulcata, a gopher, or an African spur-thighed tortoise. But her shell markings don't resemble any of these; to me they are identical to a Russian tortoise. She has only three short hind toes and my research has found that Russian's have four toes. Can someone please tell me what I have?

Erika

Attachments

• 2012-02-25 20.55.29.jpg
    2012-02-25 20.55.29.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 2012-02-25 20.56.27.jpg
    2012-02-25 20.56.27.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 2012-02-25 21.06.02.jpg
    2012-02-25 21.06.02.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 54

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I am going to agree with you, it's a Russian. However, she is a much older tortoise then you were told.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You've got a russian tortoise there. Definitely older than 2.

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
Yep it's a Russian for sure prolly around the 5yr old range

ErikaO

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! Yup, her shell sure did match the pictures we saw of the Russians. I'm still a little stumped though because only her shell patterns matched the Russians. Her hind feet only have the distinct three toes and they are short, not long clawed. How might she have lost one toe (the same toe) on each hind leg? Also, of the pictures we saw of Russians, the skin color of head and legs were much darker than our tortoise's. Do Russians vary in skin color? I am happy with our tortoise either way. We love her and she is super friendly, not shy at all!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Erika:

Your tortoise's back feet look like they may have suffered some sort of mishap in the past. They don't look quite normal to me. There are variations from tortoise to tortoise. Yours looks like either captive bred or long term captive to me. Long term captive looks quite a bit different from recently wild caught. And most of the pictures you find on the web are of wild caught animals.

ErikaO

5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick response Yvonne. OK, so now that we are comfortable knowing she is a Russian, I would like to know a few more specifics about caring for her. Do Russians hybernate? If so, for how long? Are we ok to leave her outdoors during Spring and Summer? (we live in Albuquerque; super hot Summers and high altitude cold winters) Also, do Russians get along with other tortoise species? (we really had our hearts set on getting an African breed tortoise) Thanks for everyone's input!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Beautiful tort :D

Yes, this is a species that has evolved to brumate as well as aestevate....I have CDTs who are currently at the tail end of their brumation...while in my research and in my own experience, I find it beneficial to allow and promote this part of their natural life cycle. However, please keep in mind that there are also folks that believe that due to the tortoise being in captivity they decide brumation is not necessary...so this will be your choice...and one you certainly can come to by your own reading and research...

And this species loves outdoors...they are fantastic climbers and escape artists...so keep that first and foremost on your list whole setting up an outdoor enclosure especially.....if you design some spots within the enclosure for your tortoise to escape very high temps during the day then he should be very happy outdoors during the warmer months.....

I personally would not mix species with one another...too many chances for one or the other to become sick from the different species individual diseases....again, this is my choice based on the research I have done and you will also find folks that do mix species...I personally just don't like the odds so I elect not to...:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would agree with Angi on what she said. The only differing is I, after both hibernating and not, have decided the risks do not make it worth it. Also it is pretty standard practice to not hibernate any animal you have had for less then a year. The reasoning is that allows time for the animal to adjust and any hidden problems in health to become more apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.