What kind of Tortoise is my baby?

pennimo

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Thank you everyone. She was found in San Diego. A good effort was made to find her home but no one claimed her. I’m just trying to give her a good home and find out as much about her as I can. I have a vet appointment next week with an exotic veterinarian to get her checked out. Thanks for all the good info. About 15 years ago I Had a tortoise and there were similarities so I was treating her like a tortoise. I’ll found out officially from the vet next week.
Have a great day

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am not suggesting anything.. only curious as to why everyone is offering up captive care instructions for what clearly looks like a wild box turtle. I am well aware of the ill-effects of introducing non-native species, or introducing diseases into a current wild population.

As far as being a new user... you made quite the first impression to someone asking a simple question...

FYI, user location is not displayed when viewing from a mobile phone.
Sorry we offended you. I could tell by your username that you're not a beginner. Again, I apologize.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I am not suggesting anything.. only curious as to why everyone is offering up captive care instructions for what clearly looks like a wild box turtle. I am well aware of the ill-effects of introducing non-native species, or introducing diseases into a current wild population.

As far as being a new user... you made quite the first impression to someone asking a simple question...

I understand and appreciate. I have different (or easier) access to some TFO features and information depending on which device I use. It was a good question to ask to identify what made the situation in this thread different from what might be considered typical. It really deviates when it's a different part of the world, and nothing may be typical.

There are some disease vector/transmission issues regarding box turtles in particular that make some of us more twitchy. Similar issues with gopher tortoises.
@Tom has more familiarity and experience with epizootic scenarios in chelonian populations than most.

Batagur

Michigan
No worries. Without seeing the location info, I couldn't see that it was likely a released/escaped captive & not a native box turtle somebody thought would make a good pet.

I spent a lot of my college years involved in population studies of E. blandingii & G. insculpta. I also did some work with G. muhlenbergii, and unfortunately I have seen first hand what happens when a breeding age individual is removed from a wild population.

For @Tom to assume that my suggestion would be to release a non-native, or going on a ridiculous road trip cross country to release a captive back into the wild irritated me at the time. Not a good first impression. But if he has seen diseases from captives wipe out local populations, then I can understand where he's coming from & I take no offense.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

I'm curious about this...on each post, if you tap on the poster's name, or his avatar, what do you get on your phone?

I get the some of the user's profile info, including location, assuming the poster included it in his profile.