What kind of tortoise is this?

TortillaTheTort

15272340_1147960568653352_2677276148891721590_o.jpg
ive have him for about a month now but i still dont know what kind he is, can anyone help?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
That's not a tortoise, it's a box turtle, pic isn't clear enough for me to identify species. You need to post top and bottom pictures that are a little clearer. What state are you in?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
we are going to need a better picture but it looks like a box turtle maybe.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Yep, definitely a North American box turtle of some type. My guess is 3 toed. You can check out care sheets on this website on how to take care of that specific species; it's very different than tortoises. There may not be a box turtle caresheet. Although I THINK the care is similar to Red-Foot tortoises which I know there is a caresheet for on this website.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

To me it looks like some variation of an eastern box turtle - Terrapene carolina carolina.

TortillaTheTort

That's not a tortoise, it's a box turtle, pic isn't clear enough for me to identify species. You need to post top and bottom pictures that are a little clearer. What state are you in?
I am in washington, when they gave me him they didnt know what he was either1480990623106538556527.jpg

TortillaTheTort

Yep, definitely a North American box turtle of some type. My guess is 3 toed. You can check out care sheets on this website on how to take care of that specific species; it's very different than tortoises. There may not be a box turtle caresheet. Although I THINK the care is similar to Red-Foot tortoises which I know there is a caresheet for on this website.
He has 4 toes lol

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yeah I don't think that's a three toed from appearance. I'm with Yvonne that's it's possibly an Eastern. There is some good info on the box turtle section for care. I will add links shortly.