What kind of tortoise is this?

Jany

Hi! My husband and I were taking a walk around the neighborhood and found this tortoise walking around. It seems to have been hurt, as it has an opening on the shell. We recently obtained a sulcata and are new to tortoise keeping. We picked this one up and took it home too, but we would like to know what kind of tortoise it is. It is about 6-7" long. Thank you in advance for your help!

IMG-20170423-WA0008.jpg

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
What state are you in? This is one of the Gopherus species and illegal to remove from the wild. It's also quite dangerous for your sulcata - and for the native tortoise population - to put these two species in contact as disease transfer is a major concern. Separate them ASAP.

Jany

What state are you in? This is one of the Gopherus species and illegal to remove from the wild. It's also quite dangerous for your sulcata - and for the native tortoise population - to put these two species in contact as disease transfer is a major concern. Separate them ASAP.

Thank you for your response, we have very little knowledge about tortoises and are slowly trying to increase our knowledge. We love our sulcata. We are in the state of Florida. We will place it in one of the wooden areas near by

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Tortoises need to be returned where they were found, as they are quite territorial animals.

Realistically, a Gopher tortoise that has been exposed to a sulcata (who is relatively new to you) should be turned over to a wildlife rehabber who will be able to provide a quarantine period before release to ensure you aren't introducing sickness into the wild population. Florida has quite strict laws and you will be unable to house this tortoise yourself.

You will also need to keep an eye on your sulcata over the next six months - year looking for signs of illness.

Reactions: Tom

Jany

Tortoises need to be returned where they were found, as they are quite territorial animals.

Realistically, a Gopher tortoise that has been exposed to a sulcata (who is relatively new to you) should be turned over to a wildlife rehabber who will be able to provide a quarantine period before release to ensure you aren't introducing sickness into the wild population. Florida has quite strict laws and you will be unable to house this tortoise yourself.

You will also need to keep an eye on your sulcata over the next six months - year looking for signs of illness.

I found this tortoise walking on the sidewalk on a neighborhood... that is why I was thinking of returning it to a wooden area near were it was found. I thought it wouldn't be wise to return it to the sidewalk

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
I found this tortoise walking on the sidewalk on a neighborhood... that is why I was thinking of returning it to a wooden area near were it was found. I thought it wouldn't be wise to return it to the sidewalk
with the injury to the shell; it would do better to get it to a wildlife rehabilitation center.....they can address the shell problem and fatten it up for return. Just make sure you give them a exact location where it was found; and can be taken back there when ready.

Reactions: Tom

Jany

with the injury to the shell; it would do better to get it to a wildlife rehabilitation center.....they can address the shell problem and fatten it up for return. Just make sure you give them a exact location where it was found; and can be taken back there when ready.

I will do some research to find out where there is one in the area. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yipes! NEVER put a strange tortoise in with your existing tortoise. There should always be a quarantine period before introducing new tortoises to your group.

After having said that, this is a gopher tortoise, native to Florida, and illegal to touch or pick up. Florida has very strict regulations about their tortoises. Since it seemed to be injured, it would be good to try to find a tortoise rescue or tortoise rehab.

Jany

Hi all! Thank you very much for your replies and help. I am a total newb when it comes to tortoises.

For a follow up... we took the tortoise to a local wildlife rehab center yesterday and were told that even though she (it was a female) had a whole in her shell, it seemed to be healed that way and that we should return it to where she was found. So we drove back to where we found her and placed her in the bushy area across from the sidewalk were we found it .