What kind of tortoise is this?

Squirtleturtle

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Hi everyone. New to the forum. Wanting to get done help identifying my new tortoise. My sister got me a tortoise from a friend who has tortoises. However this “breeder” has no idea what kind of tortoise they have. I am now the owner of one of their 2 year old but I have no idea what he is. They only know that it is s desert tortoise. He seems to have some pyramiding as well. Don’t mind the dirt on him. It is part of his substrate and I had misted it. Any help is appreciated.

B6243476-F0D3-4F03-9D9F-3F46C31B802C.jpeg 5AAC4B00-422A-4966-A682-8BBA1ECC26DE.jpeg D1298DE5-3F2B-41C8-A4EA-6440AEF058E7.jpeg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
That is a Sonoran Desert Tortoise, our native Arizona tortoise.

Diet is mostly weeds and grasses. You can also feed grocery store greens, and Mazuri. Keep a water source out for it, and I would advise to soak it a few times in warm water to help it get hydrated, it may need it.

They are great tortoises!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I may be wrong, but my first impression was that it is a Texas tortoise (Gopherus berlandieri) that has been raised in conditions that were much too dry with not the right calcium/vitamin d3

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I may be wrong, but my first impression was that it is a Texas tortoise (Gopherus berlandieri) that has been raised in conditions that were much too dry with not the right calcium/vitamin d3
The OP is in Arizona, which is why I suggested Sonoran Desert. They are native here and I have one myself that looks exactly like it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The shape is wrong. Texas tortoises, like the one in this thread, are round while Arizona desert tortoises are more oblong.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That does look like a G berlandieri. The shape and the 3rd vertebral the widest. In the desert and sonoran tortoise, the 5th vertebral is wider.

Squirtleturtle

AZ
I’m going to try to see if I can get pictures of the adults that they have

Thanks everyone