What kind of tortoise is this?

dsgncore

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Guys my neighbour has this tortoise for quite a while and she doesn't know what kind of tort is it. I guessed this is hermanni but the shell pattern is different, please help me.IMG-20190930-WA0007.jpegIMG-20190930-WA0006.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's not a tortoise that's a water turtle. Looks like a slider. They need to be in water to be able to eat.

dsgncore

Jakarta
That's not a tortoise that's a water turtle. Looks like a slider. They need to be in water to be able to eat.
Holy cow, she has been keeping that turtle for months cause the previous owner wanted to get rid of it. I will let her know asap that it's a slider. So do they need to be submerged? Thanks for the info guys

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Holy cow, she has been keeping that turtle for months cause the previous owner wanted to get rid of it. I will let her know asap that it's a slider. So do they need to be submerged? Thanks for the info guys
Yes it will need a large tank, at least 75 gallons or more, or a pond. They can't swallow unless they're in the water so I'd imagine it's pretty hungry. They also need a rock or floating log to be able to get out of the water and dry themselves off.

dsgncore

Jakarta
Yes it will need a large tank, at least 75 gallons or more, or a pond. They can't swallow unless they're in the water so I'd imagine it's pretty hungry. They also need a rock or floating log to be able to get out of the water and dry themselves off.
Many thanks, now i'm pretty concern knowing that turtle is in the backyard without any access to pond/ water tank and its been with her since May.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Many thanks, now i'm pretty concern knowing that turtle is in the backyard without any access to pond/ water tank and its been with her since May.
Well, got a lot of catching up to do! All the best. First thing, put him in a nice big plastic tub and half fill it with water, but make sure he can climb up on a rock or raft inside the tub so he can rest and bask. Then start working on his permanent pool! Commercial pet shop turtle food will do to start feeding him right.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It may be an Indonesian Box turtle.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It might be, i do live in indonesia
It is best to know for sure, because if it is a box turtle, he will need like two thirds land and one third water area in his enclosure. Like a large plastic tub with earth and leaves, and a nice large shallow pool to soak in, sunk down into the earth/whatever substrate you decide on.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can someone here please make a positive ID on him? He really looks like a pond turtle too!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm almost certain it's an old slider old some sort. Let's ask @Markw84

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is definately a slider - a Trachemys. can't tell which species without seeing the sides of the head and neck. Wouldn't matter as far as care as all Trachemys require the same type of care. Most likely a Red-ear Trachemys scripta elegans as they would be the only slider species commonly available in Indonesia and is extensively farmed and also established as an invasive species there.

dsgncore

Jakarta
That is definately a slider - a Trachemys. can't tell which species without seeing the sides of the head and neck. Wouldn't matter as far as care as all Trachemys require the same type of care. Most likely a Red-ear Trachemys scripta elegans as they would be the only slider species commonly available in Indonesia and is extensively farmed and also established as an invasive species there.
Guys so my wife went there this morning and can confirm there was not any red/yellow stripes on the sides of its neck, its tail is pointy and quite long if compared to my tortoise's. They let it soak in a tub everyday and let it roam around in the backyard and feed it turtle pellets..maybe that's how it survives for months. So whether its a slider or box, they both need to be in a tank with lots of water? ( with a basking spot of course )

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Guys so my wife went there this morning and can confirm there was not any red/yellow stripes on the sides of its neck, its tail is pointy and quite long if compared to my tortoise's. They let it soak in a tub everyday and let it roam around in the backyard and feed it turtle pellets..maybe that's how it survives for months. So whether its a slider or box, they both need to be in a tank with lots of water? ( with a basking spot of course )
That is a slider and it is an aquatic turtle. It needs to live in water with access to a land area.