What kind of tortoise is this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtgallo

5 Year Member
Hi, a woman who rescued this tortoise from the desert after being painted on and abused recently passed away, so we inherited this beautiful girl. However, I am having trouble identifying what kind of tortoise she is. I believe she was rescued from a California desert. Thank you for your time :)

Attachments

• shirleyshell.jpg
    shirleyshell.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 130

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Looks like a California Desert Tortoise (CDT) to me. Sorry at the loss of this woman, but looks like she left you a great legacy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are now two recognized species of California desert tortoise - Gopherus agassizii (comes from the Mojave desert and around there) and Gopherus morafkai from the Sonora desert and around there. Yours is probably gopherus agassizii.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree and absolutely striking ......are you familiar with the way she cared for this beauty? That would make it much easier transition for the tort if you could mimic the best you can the life she had before, she must have been well cared for, as she is nice and plump and hydrated looking....very nice.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
That's a beautiful tort, if I ever saw one.

Sad to hear about the loss of her caretaker and your friend (I assume, or relative, or whatnot.), but glad to see she's going into a nice home. :)

Why anyone would want to paint on such a naturally beautiful shell is beyond me...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
it was painted on in the desert? I hope it wasn't a number and some sort of survery tracking...
read up on thier care and needs. and you really should post more pictures. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.