What kind of tortoise should I get?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
For a long time now, I've been working (on and off) at trying to compile answers to the most frequently asked questions. Eventually, I want our "Frequently Asked Questions" section to be a research only type of section. A place us other members can refer new members to. The threads will all be locked, but will contain all the info we've accumulated over the years.

The question I'm working on right now is, "What kind of tortoise is good for a new tortoise keeper?" We get this one all the time. If you would give me your answers, I'll combine them all into a nice thread for our FAQ section. We won't know the person's location or housing, etc. so we'll have to explain our answers fully.

Thanks for your help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think that one should be included. There are so many variables. If you want it added. I would put this answer. Read all the different caresheets and general info about each species and decide on what you can best provide for.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your doiing one about, "I think my tortoise is sick"
or something along those lines, it would be nice if they were told to give lots of info. Like, heat source, temps, humidity, substrate, etc, etc. These threads that say "Help I think my tort is sick" then maybe a sentence of little to no good info given, is such a waist of time. Now all the questions have to be asked, before any guidance can be given.