What kind of tortoise?

teresa trainor

Location (City and/or State)
Riverside
Hello, i'm Teresa and from southern california. I have a friend in another state that has a tortoise that she would like to rehome because of climate. She was told it was a desert tortoise and I saw that they could not be shipped legally, so I want to make sure that it is in fact a desert tortoise and not some other kind.tortoise 2.png tortoise 3.png

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome someone will be along soon to help you ID the tort. He is lovely, are you planning on giving him a new home? If so, when you know what species he is there are great caresheets which will help you get started on providing a safe and happy home for him. The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) is a great place to learn a few do's and don'ts and the Enclosure thread has lots of great ideas.

teresa trainor

Riverside
Well...he is currently in the possession of a friend in Oregon. She got him while living here in California and was told he is a Desert Tortoise but isn'tdugout.JPG dugout2.JPG completely sure. If it is a desert tortoise it's illegal to ship it here, so I'm trying to figure out first what species and second how to get him back to California. I have already built an enclosure that I believe will be suitable for a desert tortoise, just minus vegetation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it is a desert tortoise, and it is illegal to remove them from their home state. But once he has been removed, it is illegal to take him back to his home state.

That's a very nice enclosure. So would you keep him if it is a desert tortoise?

Welcome to the Forum!

teresa trainor

Riverside
I'm trying to figure how we can get the tortoise here. It's in Oregon and normally lives in a 40 gallon tank, which the owner knows is too small but because they just moved doest have many other options. We just want to give it a better home, but are in a bit of a pickle.

The enclosure I built is 64 sqft, its bottom is lined with hardware cloth and top lid has locks. It has a door that can open to allow access to another 104sqft that has a 3.5ft retaining wall surrounded that I intend to use as a daytime area with supervision. At night it would be locked up to avoid any intruders.dugout 2.jpg dugout 3.jpg

Hrairoo

BC, Canada
Amazing!
I'm going to be honest, my first thought is just "smuggle" the tort back to your home. :( His current living area is horribly tiny, please try to help him out of it!

teresa trainor

Riverside
Amazing!
I'm going to be honest, my first thought is just "smuggle" the tort back to your home. :( His current living area is horribly tiny, please try to help him out of it!

I just want to give it the best home possible, unfortunately I don't have time for jail or a federal offense .

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Sounds like a road trip might be necessary. Can't imagine you'd get pulled over (provided you obey the rules of the road) during the trip. Kind of a long drive though.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just a reminder... though we may think just bring it home, that is against the law. As such, we can not in any way suggest it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! It is a beautiful desert tortoise. Good luck.