What kind of turtle do I have?

Lyndi

Location (City and/or State)
Darwen, Lancashire
Hello! I have only just joined because I have only just recently become a turtle mum! I live in Lancashire, England, and work at a primary school. The turtles in question have been the school 'pets' for the last 4 years but were outgrowing their tank and school no longer wanted the responsibility or expense of maintaining them. I have now got them set up in a 60 x 45 x 30cm tank each, with filters, new UVB lights, heaters, pebble substrate and basking areas. After much research, I think they are Mud Turtles, but have also seen photos of Musk Turtles on the internet that look very similar, too! So my question is, how can I be certain which I have, Mud or Musk, when they look so alike? I also think they are female because they have tiny tails and flat plastrons, although the school always referred to them as male. However, that hardly means a great deal: school also decided turtles in an open tank were suitable pets for children under 7 yrs old! ? Is there a site out there that shows clear pictures of both breeds together for easy comparison? Any info/help will be greatly appreciated! ? ??

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hello! I have only just joined because I have only just recently become a turtle mum! I live in Lancashire, England, and work at a primary school. The turtles in question have been the school 'pets' for the last 4 years but were outgrowing their tank and school no longer wanted the responsibility or expense of maintaining them. I have now got them set up in a 60 x 45 x 30cm tank each, with filters, new UVB lights, heaters, pebble substrate and basking areas. After much research, I think they are Mud Turtles, but have also seen photos of Musk Turtles on the internet that look very similar, too! So my question is, how can I be certain which I have, Mud or Musk, when they look so alike? I also think they are female because they have tiny tails and flat plastrons, although the school always referred to them as male. However, that hardly means a great deal: school also decided turtles in an open tank were suitable pets for children under 7 yrs old! ? Is there a site out there that shows clear pictures of both breeds together for easy comparison? Any info/help will be greatly appreciated! ? ??
just start a post of your own and post good pictures of the turtles. We can easily identify for you. There are several species of both mud and musk turtles so more that just knowing if its mud or musk. Tag me (with the @ sign and my avatar name) so I know you have posts and I can give the info when you post.

Lyndi

Darwen, Lancashire
just start a post of your own and post good pictures of the turtles. We can easily identify for you. There are several species of both mud and musk turtles so more that just knowing if its mud or musk. Tag me (with the @ sign and my avatar name) so I know you have posts and I can give the info when you post.
Thank-you! I will do this as soon as I can persuade one of them to pose for me! ?