What kind of turtle is this

russianmom

A Freind is looking to rehome and we want to take him but they have no idea what kind he is and I don't eaither!!! Any ideas thanks
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409713597.966772.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409713612.181026.jpg

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sorry can't help with id but this little guy should be in water. Or access to swim into.

Turtlepete

South Florida
As far as care, they are semi-terrestrial. They need a shallow pond to wade in. Warm and high humidity, pretty much the climate for a red foot tortoise. They are omnivores, probably can feed them similarly to boxies. Aquatic turtle pellets supplemented with veggies and greens, etc...

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
As far as care, they are semi-terrestrial. They need a shallow pond to wade in. Warm and high humidity, pretty much the climate for a red foot tortoise. They are omnivores, probably can feed them similarly to boxies. Aquatic turtle pellets supplemented with veggies and greens, etc...
Bingo, Pete! Nailed the ID and the care. Do you keep these?

Yeah, this little turtle needs to have his enclosure made over, badly. An enclosure with good drainage should be provided with high temps and it should be kept at least relatively moist at all times. It should never get as dry as the enclosure is in these photos.

Could be a great change for the turtle if you decide to give it a try and do your homework.

M

Maggie Cummings

Ornate wood turtle, Rhinoclemmys punctularia. Good advice Pete...these guys are more terrestrial then tortoises and he needs water, more water then land...

russianmom

Thanks guys he is a ornate wood turtle the enclosure he was in was all wrong we rescued him from someone who was told he was a box turtle which we knew he wasn't just based on his shell and that he was a female nope again he is a he!! He is a disabled turtle he only has 3 feet! So I didn't give him a full pond type tank because he can't really swim but he has a nice soaking area with a waterfall and a much better substrate and heat which he wasn't getting before all day!!! He's much happier and I found out he likes to play in hay!! I gave him an area to burrow at night cuz he didn't have one before and input hay on top of the area like I do for my Russians and he loved it he burrowed under it and kept sticking his head out of it he wore it like a blanket!!! Thanks for Ur help here's some pics of his home now it's not perm... I plan on redoing it and making it more for him and maybe a bigger one this is 3'4" X 2'... And this is the one he came in that's y I left him in it for now!! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410351841.334572.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410351859.566592.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410351908.805981.jpg

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I hate to be a bother, but that's still too dry. A substrate change is necessary. If you keep that current enclosure as wet as he needs, the hay with become moldy instantly. Also, and enclosure with higher walls will help retain moisture/humidity.

A substrate that can get wet enough without molding would be a cypress mulch, peat moss and topsoil mixture.

Good luck,

Anthony

turtlemanfla88

I would use cypress mulch. I have Manni and Incisa and both will eat pellets in or out of the water, earth worms,watermelon, strawberries,cantelope, blueberries, whole fish, shrimp,and whatever they find outside. I live in Florida and bring them in when nights go below 65 degrees. You could use a plastic kiddie pool fill it up with cypress mulch and then use cat litter pans for water just make sure to use rocks or something the turtle can use to climb out easily. back in Aug I saw a talk at the Turtle Survival Alliance conference about Manni and the speaker said he keeps 3" of cypress mulch with his animals.

russianmom

I spray it twice a day their is cypress mulch in there it's hard to see it... Like I said this was a temp home it's what the lady that had him before had him in I am hoping that soon we will start the tank building process for our Russian tortoises and I can give him their old houses since they have grown out of them. Also the hay I change out every other day!! I live in ct so I can't keep him outside even during the day the weather is to unpredictable and now it is cool during the day and cold at night!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I do have to recommend something with this species. They will either burrow in a completely moist substrate and come out dusk/dawn or offer a very large water bowl for its aquatic desires. These are semi aquatic species, and do come from very tropical areas of Central America. Lots of fruits, and insects comprise of the main dietary needs for these. I'd lei mate the hay and offer a very thick substrate of peat moss, bedding mix, and mulch all mixed together.