What kind of turtle or tortoise is this?

Yxx

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
A neighbor of ours found a tortoise/turtle on their patio. Does anyone know what kind of tortoise or turtle it is? Attached below is a photo of it.
Thank you!
image.jpg

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
It's too hard to tell from just looking at the shell, but it's most likely some sort of slider or painted turtle. They are an aquatic species. Do you have a pond near your house where it may have come from?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please post a pic of the underside and head and legs if possible. If it turns out to be a native turtle, then it should be let go. If there is a pond/lake/River near the home it was found, then that would be a good spot to let it go.

Vladsfriend

Ohio
To be sure, we'd need some more pictures. That being said, it looks like a blanding's turtle to me based on the shell shape. Native to Ohio, I'd assume PA too depending on where in the state you are.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is definitely a water turtle. Needs to be in water with a landing dock where he can climb out and sun himself. Water turtles can't eat unless they are submerged.

Yxx

Pennsylvania
It's too hard to tell from just looking at the shell, but it's most likely some sort of slider or painted turtle. They are an aquatic species. Do you have a pond near your house where it may have come from?
Yes, there is a pond nearby. It probably came from there.

Yxx

Pennsylvania
Please post a pic of the underside and head and legs if possible. If it turns out to be a native turtle, then it should be let go. If there is a pond/lake/River near the home it was found, then that would be a good spot to let it go.
It actually left the other day from the container it was kept in.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I don't know what happened, but the photo popped up for a second, then went away. From what I saw in the split second, this is a Painted Turtle, Chrysemys picta. Now, while the pic was there, the vertebral and coastal scutes seemed to line up in a manner seen in the Eastern Painted Turtle, Chrysemys picta picta. Hope that helps.

This would make sense for the state in which it was found, as well.

Ant