What kind of turtle (s) should I get

swatsx

5 Year Member
So after talking with wife and kids, a tortoise is out. Fish are out. Snake lizard out... Which leaves us to turtles and everyone agrees yes my 200 gallon tank will soon become a turtle tank. So I'm planning on doing a above tank basking spot so I can use my full 200 gallons, tank is 6ft by 27 by 27 ish.. The way in and out of water to basking area will be about 8 inches wide.. What turtles are cool that are active, might even look into breeding but idk what to get any suggestions?

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
There are many unwanted Red Ear Sliders on Craigslist, rescues, and the humane society. They are wonderful turtles that need a large tank. I love my RES.

swatsx

5 Year Member
I didn't want res but never thought to rescue them it'd be helping giving a good home how are they as pets my kids would prolly want to take them out is that ok for a turtle I used to take my turtle out when I was younger but then again he got picked up by a bird... How are they to breed

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
swatsx said:
I didn't want res but never thought to rescue them it'd be helping giving a good home how are they as pets my kids would prolly want to take them out is that ok for a turtle I used to take my turtle out when I was younger but then again he got picked up by a bird... How are they to breed

Under the correct conditions, RES will breed like rabbits but there is such a huge amount out there one should really think carefully before breeding them. Have you looked into the painted turtles yet? The babies are so cute tit is distracting. There are many varieties and they do not get that big. You could easily house a few in 200 gallons! Mud and musk are also a lot of fun to watch but they just sit there most of the time hanging out on the bottom. But when feeding time comes around, look out. These guys stay small as well. Both painted and musk around 4 inches as adults.