what kind of UVB light?

themacfile

Hi,

I am getting a new baby tortoise and i am going to get a tortoise table that comes with a lamp holder that doesn't come with the light, I have heard that you need a UV light, is there another light that you need to have, if so can you get them both in one? This needs to be a regular lamp size, like a lightbulb in your house.

Thank You,

Tobes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
These are the two types to choose from:

T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

Whatever you do, DO NOT CHOOSE THIS TYPE:

CFL.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Unless you're getting a baby tortoise, those pre-manufactured tortoise tables are too small.

themacfile

Thankyou, so a baby tortoise need alot more room, does that mean, i have to pay for a bigger table?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If it is a baby, get a plastic bin. Like a Christmas tree box or a 54 gallon been from Home Depot etc. it's easier to keep the heat and humidity in, you don't want the heat falling below 80° if you have a baby. If you use the long fluorescent tube then you also need a heat source. Such is a ceramic heat emitter. The mercury vapor bulb is UVB and heat in one. But you will still need night heat for a baby.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species are you getting? Open topped tables are not good for babies of any species. Open tops allow all the warm humid air to be diluted by the cooler dry room air. If we knew what species you had in mind we could give you more specific advice.

RogueAngel

Chesterfield, uk
I was sold the curly one :( but was told to change it to this its heat and uv in one is this ok and could someone please tell me how high it should be over my tortoise table ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429381942.287842.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it tells you on the box not to have it any lower than 12"

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
12 inches above your tortoises shell. At least 15 or 18 if you get the 160 W. You don't really need 160 W one however.