What kind? (. . . of tortoise should I get?)

Mr. turtle

Hey guys! I have been thinking about this for a while now. What kind of tortoise should i get. Sulcat, leopard, golden greek, Hermann's, etc. what do you think? I dont know which kind. I want a bigger one, but i feel like a smaller one would be better for where i live, which is kentucky, and i know alot of people with sulcatas or leopards in my area. What do you guys think? Thanks!!!

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
One that hibernates would be easier/ cheaper to care for in Kentucky. I enjoy keeping Russians, and they are a smaller species, so you can provide an indoor winter enclosure or hibernate them. I would say that you should get whatever "you" want.

~Before anyone corrects me tortoises don't hibernate they go through "brumation."

I would definitely recommend a Russian tortoise. They need a lot of space and have great personalities and are always very active

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One that hibernates would be easier/ cheaper to care for in Kentucky. I enjoy keeping Russians, and they are a smaller species, so you can provide an indoor winter enclosure or hibernate them. I would say that you should get whatever "you" want.

~Before anyone corrects me tortoises don't hibernate they go through "brumation."
Your right on the brumation/hibernation thing. But so many uses hibernation, I gave up on correcting people. Lol. So your good either way.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Thanks everyone! I ended up getting a red foot tortoise baby a couple of weeks ago. Her name is jessie. Thanks for all the help everyone!!
I love redfoot tortoises, they have great personalities! Keep the humidity high, and their diet is different than most other tortoises. Also with the higher humidity watch out for shell rot, as they are prone to getting it. I try to keep the surface of their substrate dry, but wet deeper down. I put Coco coir on the bottom then mulch over it. Add water to the corners of the enclosure so that water doesn't touch their plastron.

Mr. turtle

I love redfoot tortoises, they have great personalities! Keep the humidity high, and their diet is different than most other tortoises. Also with the higher humidity watch out for shell rot, as they are prone to getting it. I try to keep the surface of their substrate dry, but wet deeper down. I put Coco coir on the bottom then mulch over it. Add water to the corners of the enclosure so that water doesn't touch their plastron.

I have a question about humidity. How can i raise it? I have tried misting the cage down, putting a plastic cover over the top of the cage, and pouring water in the substrate. Nothing is working. I am using a zoo med tortoise house. Thanks!

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
A closed chamber is about the only way to keep the humidity up. There are topics and examples of them in the enclosure section of the forum. I always make my own enclosures out of plywood / Rubbermaid totes / whatever I have laying around. Lol

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have a question about humidity. How can i raise it? I have tried misting the cage down, putting a plastic cover over the top of the cage, and pouring water in the substrate. Nothing is working. I am using a zoo med tortoise house. Thanks!

Can we see photos of your enclosure and lighting please? It will be easier to spot problems