What lighting is best for Horsfield?

Dan Tennick

Hey all! :)

Well, its getting closer to my Birthday next month and the present i've wanted for years.. My first little Tort.. :):<3::tort:

I know many people would of asked this and it may be a bit of annoying question but i just want to ask as i want nothing but the best for my new little friend. :)

Just wanting to know if someone can help me find / Give advice on what lighting is best for my Tort Table.

I've heard about the Zoo Med Power Sun bulb but not heard many good comments about how long they last/ Cost. o_O:(

Can anyone recommend/ point me to the best alternative option's? Link's, Pics & Fixture / Bulb Names available here in the UK? Or maybe Bulb's & fittings you personally use for your Tort's? Any help i would greatly appreciate.

Thanks all :)

Dan :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There are many variables in this and many ways to do it successfully. If your tortoise will get some sunshine, you will not be needing indoor UV. If you must provide indoor UV then a Powersun is the simplest way to get it all done. One bulb in the correct hood, facing straight down, set on a timer, height adjusted for the correct basking temp under it, and that is it. You are done. Often the MVBs fail because people point them at an angle instead of straight down, or they use too small of a fixture and hood. They also have an automatic mechanism in them that causes a delay in turning back on if they are recently shut off. Many people make adjustments and then assume the bulb has died when it doesn't come right back on. If you just plug it in turn it on and walk away, it will kick back on when the temperature drops enough.

If you don't like that route, then a long florescent tube mounted 10-12" from the substrate can meet you lighting and UV needs, and you'll need an incandescent bulb for some basking heat. I prefer to use flood bulbs, and adjust the height of the fixture to get the right temperature under it.

Here are a couple of threads that might help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

mikeh

5 Year Member
Arcadia has wide selections of MVBs and long tube fluorescents readily available in UK. They are of high quality. The size and UVB rating will depend on dimensions of the enclosure and how high above the tortoise the UVB light will be suspended.

I would stay away from any compact fluorescents. They can cause eye damage if not used correctly.

I have some experience with Arcadia T5HO D3+. They put out good amount of visible light and high quality UVB spectrum, but supplemental heat source is required.
Solar meter is recommended with use of indoor UVB lights to check actual UVB levels.

Last edited:

Shakudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
I use a Solar Raptop MVB (UVB+warmth in one) 100 watts. I don't know if that is available where you are you might have to do some digging online.

Joey