What made you get your first Tortoise?

TortoiseCrazy

Location (City and/or State)
NY
What made you get your first Tortoise? or

What inspired you to get into Reptiles etc.?

Thought this would be a cool question to ask.

For me, I always wanted a Tort as a kid. But, knew I wasnt ready to own reptiles. I was too busy with my Cat, Rabbits, and Hamster. Along with the intense goal of being a good Equestrian (eat/sleep/breathe Horsemanship!) Which is still a work in progress decades later ?

I was always inspired by Steve Irwin and Others, like Diane Fossey.. Just kind of connected and loved to see that there were others like me. Who had a passion and respect for all animals. As a kid, that really gave me a drive to always research!

It took a while on narrowing down the right species. That would fit my lifestyle and future barn house. Specifically, a Horsefield Tortoise (naturally that is the species. This equestrian really gravitated towards) I find the Russian Torts. to be really cool. Hoping in the far future to adopt a Sulcata. If I move to a more adequate environment for them :)

Really excited to read your stories and hope you all have a great day!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I begged my grandma for a few years for a box turtle or tortoise, In the early 80 's . For my birthday my friends (with my grandparents permission) got me a turtle. In Chicago they were very rare. No PetSmart or Petco. A three toes box turtle! I had her for over 15 years. Then I got into tortoises. I wanted a larger one but manageable, so Ink my Leopard then after many years, Gilbert my Western Hermann. Then a couple of years later saving Miss.Dexter Persimmons. I think this is how hoarding starts..??

TortoiseCrazy

NY
I begged my grandma for a few years for a box turtle or tortoise, In the early 80 's . For my birthday my friends (with my grandparents permission) got me a turtle. In Chicago they were very rare. No PetSmart or Petco. A three toes box turtle! I had her for over 15 years. Then I got into tortoises. I wanted a larger one but manageable, so Ink my Leopard then after many years, Gilbert my Western Hermann. Then a couple of years later saving Miss.Dexter Persimmons. I think this is how hoarding starts..??

Thank you for sharing! Box Turtles are so cool (definitely want one..) There is a saying that “horses are like potato chips.. you cant just have one” I can see how that could be applied to Tortoises too. Also, love the names of your little ones ??‍♀️????

Reactions: Ink
L

LasTortugasNinja

Had a few different turtles as a kid. Wife was complaining about weeds, wishing the dogs would eat the weeds and not the grass... googled weed eaters and tortoises came up. Jokingly told her we should get a tortoise then... she was totally ok with it. So I did a few months of research on them then picked one out (the feistiest one I've seen at a store). Weeds are far fewer, now, but I'm the one digging them up! lol All the weeds are in the unfenced front yard, so I got to get 'em.

My wife is loving that I'm finally doing some of the yardwork! lol

TortoiseCrazy

NY
Had a few different turtles as a kid. Wife was complaining about weeds, wishing the dogs would eat the weeds and not the grass... googled weed eaters and tortoises came up. Jokingly told her we should get a tortoise then... she was totally ok with it. So I did a few months of research on them then picked one out (the feistiest one I've seen at a store). Weeds are far fewer, now, but I'm the one digging them up! lol All the weeds are in the unfenced front yard, so I got to get 'em.

My wife is loving that I'm finally doing some of the yardwork! lol
Definitely taking some notes on that! Thank you for sharing your story?

ISU

South Korea
About 2 years ago, there was a big accident in which my ankle was completely crushed.I had a really hard time and was very depressed.

At that time, I happened to see Hermann tort on Youtube, and I thought about it for a few months and brought him home. It made me feel happy.

He was with me for about 10 months, but unfortunately he passed away. About 6 months later, I brought a leopard,and I came to this forum.

I take care of my new friend with the help of many veteran keepers here. I want to be with her for a long time!

Reactions: Ink

KBeam

Central Illinois
When I was three, my family went out to the west coast and in Tijuana you could ride giant tortoises. I know it’s awful! But it was a long time ago. I was hooked. Since then tortoises have been my favorite.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I saw a wild Florida Box turtle and knew I had to get a tortoise/ box turtle.. Some time later I got a russian tortoise, and the addiction began! Still want to buy more!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I seen some kids riding tortoises so i figured i could make some money doing bday parties... jk .. ive always loved seeing the sulcatas at the zoo.. how majestic they were and i got older and decided im ready

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
My parents used to bring me and my sisters to a local petting zoo in NoVa when I was really little. It used to have large tortoises the kids were allowed to sit on. My dad says I cried when he tried to put me on, but I only remember falling in love with them ( I probably was scared knowing me). In high school, a friend had a box turtle and it made me remember how much I loved turtles and tortoises again. I bought my first RES when I was in college, but he passed away 3 years later. Fast forward many years, I joked and told my kids to save up and get me a tortoise when I turned 40. My husband surprised me a year early last year, said pick a tortoise, and I got my Hermann’s. Now we also have a RES and a Leopard.